65 gallon aquarium thoughts?

On 5/22/2023 at 7:43 PM, lefty o said:

the only issue with taller tanks is you tend to end up in them to your armpits while cleaning them. visually i like them better than standard height tanks.

Im 6’2 so it’s not a problem but it’s still pretty high and definitely will be harder to maintain than my other tanks 

@Ninjoma yeah I’m glad I went with the 65 because more gallons is always better and it allows me to have more levels of fish, taller plants and taller fish (if I ever wanted to try angelfish)

• Like 2

I have one.  I'm 6'0" tall, and can just barely reach the bottom, but it's not usually a problem, especially if I stand on a stool.

My biggest issue is getting enough light to the bottom.  I have inexpensive LED lights.  Corkscrew val, anubias, and crypts do fine, but stem plants struggle to keep leaves on the lower portions of the stem, though I recently discovered Mexican oak leaf.  It holds up pretty well.  There is still some leaf loss near the bottom, but much less than other stem plants I've tried in it.

• Like 1

I have a sixty-five gallon just like that one.  They look good but since I can't reach the bottom it can be harder to maintain.  A fifty-five gallon is a lot easier to work with.  It would look sweet with Angels and tall plants.

Edited by Guppy gal

I have a 65g.  Great tank.  My only criticism of the tank is because of the height and the center brace catching fish out can be more challenging than a 40br.  Other than that love the tank.  Allows for good plant growth and still have some open space on top.  

Get a set of reptile pincets/forceps to help with planting. 
Agree that plants that can fill the volume are key, aponogetons, crinums, crypt balansae and spiralis, lotus’, tall stems like bacopa gigantea and the bigger sword plants. 
I’ve used a corner mattenfilter in my 45 g and it’s nice to hide all the equipment back there. 
Enjoy your new tank and have fun!IMG_1313.jpeg.f7f68e7fc62e23e0dbe38c309a5b559e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1