Buying from someone who quarantines makes all the difference.

Before heading over to Aquarium Co op for my fish, I would usually go to PetSmart, PetCo, etc..  What a huge difference.  I have yet to have an Aquarium Co Op fish die on me.  I will never again buy from a seller that doesn't quarantine.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!
Greater Seattle aquarium society is very active with many reputable members. Reach out to them they may know. 
You can also ask questions about the club and potentially ask to attend a meeting to see if you like it. Hobbyists who breed fish take their babies to clubs for auction. Every club is different in how/when/how often auctions are and if non members can attend auctions to purchase. 
I find I have outstanding luck with the quality of hobbyists raised fish. 
I envy your close proximity to COOP. I would love to visit their brick and mortar store. 

• Like 2

We have lots of great local fish stores in the Seattle area, but I don't recall seeing any shop with a separate quarantine room like Aquarium Co-op has. I think I've visited all of them except the one on Whidbey Island. I try not to name them out of respect for Aquarium Co-op hosting this forum.  Some of them do have very healthy fish. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/10/2023 at 2:37 PM, Galabar said:

So, I'm not sure if it is Ok to ask here, but are there other places in the Seattle/Bellevue area that also quarantine... 🙂

Welcome to the forums!  For any store you walk into, any employee should be able to elaborate or answer any question about the arrival process for fish and plants in the store.   They should know (and not be afraid to say yes/no) if there is a QT process and what it would be. 

A sign of a great store would be how that conversation goes.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:34 PM, Galabar said:

The thing is, I think a lot of these fish are coming from the same (wholesale) places.  So, the value add is really the quarantine by the retail seller.

You might be right, Aquarium Co-op is open about where they get fish, and I’m sure there are limited number of wholesalers so it makes sense that there’s some overlap. I do know that one of the shops in Port Orchard strongly prefers to buy locally raised fish, and it seems like the shop on Whidbey buys at least some fish from Europe. Overall I think all the newer shops have cleaner looking tanks and generally healthier looking fish. 

Overall I strongly prefer to get fish from Aquarium Co-op but I live south of Seattle so it’s not always practical. 😪

On 5/11/2023 at 12:19 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Welcome to the forums!  For any store you walk into, any employee should be able to elaborate or answer any question about the arrival process for fish and plants in the store.   They should know (and not be afraid to say yes/no) if there is a QT process and what it would be. 

A sign of a great store would be how that conversation goes.

Well said! 

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 5:31 PM, Galabar said:

Before heading over to Aquarium Co op for my fish, I would usually go to PetSmart, PetCo, etc..  What a huge difference.  I have yet to have an Aquarium Co Op fish die on me.  I will never again buy from a seller that doesn't quarantine.

Quarantine makes all the difference, I wish I lived local to the Co-op! Its tough for me to find shops where I live that quarantine. Another option is looking for clubs or breeders that are trustworthy.