moving fish around (bullying)

SC Fish

So i have a variatus platy in my 20 gallon which i moved from the 10 as i didn't want anymore babies and now he's been picking on my sparkling gourami's. im thinking of putting him into the 25 litre but i have a little endler in there (which is also a  bully) but he's been there for a whole so im thinking i may switch em around and see what happens? but if i do switch em and its fine the platy cant live in a 25 litre forever..

my mum doesnt want me to rehome it cos i raised it ,-,

On 5/7/2023 at 6:15 PM, Colu said:

I would say in the short term it would be ok  wouldn't keep platys any thing smaller than 15 gallons in the long term @SC Fish

yeah , ill be putting it in tmr cos lights off rn but i will work on trying to rehome him 🙂

I have found that sometimes removing a bully from the tank for a few days and then putting him back in results in the bullying stopping. I'm not talking about actual biting kinds of aggression, just territorial bullying (my swordtails) and general harassment (some of my male guppies toward other male guppies in a male-only tank). So if he's just chasing them and not actually biting them, you may want to put him back in after a few days in time out to see if he's reformed.

• Love 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, PineSong said:

I have found that sometimes removing a bully from the tank for a few days and then putting him back in results in the bullying stopping.

In my case, I removed the fish that were being picked on (third male swordtail that was a late bloomer added to a tank with 2 established males) and gave them about a week to recover from any issues.  The wounds healed up, I let them just sort of breathe and relax a bit.  When I added the male back into the tank he was the tank boss and defended himself.  It was refreshing to see.  I definitely had hoped, but was apprehensive about the method working out successfully.  It really can! 

On 5/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, PineSong said:

I have found that sometimes removing a bully from the tank for a few days and then putting him back in results in the bullying stopping. I'm not talking about actual biting kinds of aggression, just territorial bullying (my swordtails) and general harassment (some of my male guppies toward other male guppies in a male-only tank). So if he's just chasing them and not actually biting them, you may want to put him back in after a few days in time out to see if he's reformed.

would seperating him ina  breeder box work? i dont want to put him in the 5g risking him to catch a disease (not sure if the endler in the 5g is infected with something or if its just age) and putting him back to infect the rest of the tank