40 gallon tank or 55 gallon tank?

mkeyz

So I'm trying to upgrade my axolotl to a bigger tank for more space to move. Currently being housed in a 35 gallon tank that is higher than longer, hence why I'm thinking about a longer tank. I only have one juvie axolotl. My debate is should I get a 40 gallon or 55 gallon. I know ultimately the 55 is definitely longer, but due to living on the 2nd floor apartment I'm also trying to think of water weight vs how much the floor can support. If I did get a 55 I'd probably only fill it halfway for that reason. Idk I can't decide. Can anyone help me with this decision? Pics of current tank and my adorable axie.

PXL_20230419_014922564.jpg

PXL_20230419_035013641.MP.jpg

PXL_20230423_204945083.jpg

• Love 1

Personally I prefer 40 gallon breeder. It's going to 36" x 18" x 16" which adds more footprint for it. Based off the weight it will be good enough till it continues to grow. Then I'd choose 75g+; 48" x 18" x 21", when you stop living 2nd floor 😇

While 55 gallons ; 48" x 13" x 21" much higher footprint, narrow in size (not needed for it, and weight is an issue)

Just my two sense with it. Let me know how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I did get the 40 breeder gal. Unfortunately axolotl not currently in it because I can't get the nitrites and nitrates under control so far water changes and prime aren't working to lower them

PXL_20230504_172317487.jpg

• Like 1

I already did that too. I mixed the old water with new conditioned water. I put the old filter media and those filter balls in there and let the media sit in there for days before taking it out and discarding but I've left the filter balls from original tank in there

Idk what I'm doing wrong tbh

On 5/5/2023 at 10:52 AM, mkeyz said:

I already did that too. I mixed the old water with new conditioned water. I put the old filter media and those filter balls in there and let the media sit in there for days before taking it out and discarding but I've left the filter balls from original tank in there

Idk what I'm doing wrong tbh

Water needs to circulate around the media, It sitting in the tank in a corner won't do much. Try to wrap it around your filter

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1