Identifying Hillstream Species

Jack CO

After stopping by petco today to pick up some fry food for my ricefish I noticed that they had reticulated hillstreams in stock, which got me thinking about the hillstream I own. I bought him a few months back as a reticulated, but it has become quite clear as he’s grown that he is not one. After seeing them today I did a little research and I believe that I have a Pseudogastromyzon myersi. I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with keeping them or can confirm what species he is. He’s been thriving in my 29 gallon since I’ve gotten him. 

IMG_3894.jpeg

IMG_3893.jpeg

IMG_3892.png

IMG_3895.jpeg

Edited by Jack CO
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Wow gorgeous you lucked out! I would love LOVE to get my hands on purple-fins myself…

Anyway not at all surprising they are often mismarked and hard to identify as babies. Care is relatively the same for all. Mature biofilm mats and algae. Fast flowing water isn’t really necessary as long as it’s cool and oxygenated they are as happy as a clam

• Like 1

Wow the purple fins are beautiful. There’s plenty of algae on the back and side glass that he grazes on. Not the best algae cleaner in the world, my pest snails do a better job, but I got him because I like hillstreams, the algae cleaning is just a benefit. Waters about 74 with a HOB, so the flow isn’t crazy but good enough for my bamboo shrimp. 

• Like 1