So Close, but so far (from content)

nabokovfan87

Imagine your tank in your mind.  Imagine how it started and the journey from that beginning to this current point in time. 

In philosophy, there is a value to that journey, to experience in life.  That's an entirely different conversation, but I have been mulling over this concept with the basic premise that I shouldn't be unhappy with a tank just because it isn't perfect.   That I should value where the tank is now, with the gravity of that journey along the way, and focus primarily on where I am now at this point in time....  Sometimes you can appreciate the journey more than the result, but my goal in this specific moment right now is to enjoy where I am today.

With that in the back of your mind I want to pose one question.  You can fix one thing on your favorite tank to make it truly perfect.  What do you decide to fix? Tell us why.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added wiki link
  • Like 2

Is it weird that I can't come up with anything I would change in it period right now?  I mean it has some plants that need trimming right now but that's just a maintenance thing and not really something to be changed. I wouldn't say it's overall perfect but for what I want to accomplish at this stage it is perfect. Now my other tanks that's different, but there's honestly nothing I would currently change about my main tank. 

Now that I typed that I thought of 1 tiny thing. Maybe just a few more rainbowfish. My tanks tend to be heavier on the bottom dwellers than the mid to top swimmers and that's true of this tank too. But that's not even that big of a deal and I'd rather keep a lower bioload than larger. 

• Like 1

I find once a tank gets to where it is “just right” for me I no longer spend as much time enjoying it. It becomes more like an artwork picture hanging on the wall. Completed project if you will. 
At that point it’s routine maintenance, trimming and critters do their thing. 
My favorite part of the hobby is learning and experiencing things. Watching new life grow and trying new things. 
I have always enjoyed the awkward teenage phases of my tanks eagerly anticipating how it will end up looking when it’s mature. 
I rarely set out with a plan if “this is how I want it to look”. If plants get moved by fish or current I seldom move them back. I find it very interesting to see the natural drifted plants looks. I enjoy the clumps of hair algae as a place to watch my fry feed. 

Whatever phase my tanks are going through I find interest and I am content to watch them evolve. The journey is the joy for me. Not the end result. 

• Like 2

I always want my background stem plants to be better in some way. They are always too leggy, too bushy or not grown in enough. Or I think, "maybe this was just the wrong plant altogether, I should change it."

Also in my 75g tank, I kinda want to add an indian lilac crab. This would mean I would need to add a way for the crab to leave the water and remove any snails I don't want to be eaten. If I removed my snails, I also want to get a dojo loach.

I'm honestly always changing my mind about what I want to do in at least one of my tanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me,

I will exclude adding anything to the tank and simply focus on the one "issue".

For the sake of my own sanity I just want to replace my regulator with a new one. This is mostly so I can dial in my CO2 and know for certain that there isn't any issues with mine.

The only other item to consider would be to modify my filtration to a canister so that I can use a full length spray bar on the tank. I would ultimately like to have a sump one day, but for now.... What I have is just fine.

On 4/26/2023 at 11:22 AM, Ninjoma said:

I always want my background stem plants to be better in some way. They are always too leggy, too bushy or not grown in enough. Or I think, "maybe this was just the wrong plant altogether, I should change it."

Have you topped them before? (Take the top sections and plant those. Then take what is currently in the substrate and either trim it back to clear bare sections or remove those parts and propagate out the healthier, new growth)

When you see aerial roots that might be a benefit to get your goal.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

For me,

I will exclude adding anything to the tank and simply focus on the one "issue".

For the sake of my own sanity I just want to replace my regulator with a new one. This is mostly so I can dial in my CO2 and know for certain that there isn't any issues with mine.

The only other item to consider would be to modify my filtration to a canister so that I can use a full length spray bar on the tank. I would ultimately like to have a sump one day, but for now.... What I have is just fine.

Have you topped them before? (Take the top sections and plant those. Then take what is currently in the substrate and either trim it back to clear bare sections or remove those parts and propagate out the healthier, new growth)

When you see aerial roots that might be a benefit to get your goal.

Yes. 

• Like 1

It's not a 1 tank question for me, but if I could change one thing it would be to change my tiny laundry-room sharing fish room into a space that's more enjoyable to be be in. A viewing couch. Coffee fixins. Dim the room lights, so just the tanks are lit. Chill. 

🙂

• Love 2