Fish with Bent/Curved Back

Ceci

Hi all,

We woke up today to find a bent near the tail of our goldfish. We have never encountered this symptom before and our research says it might be "fish tuberculosis"... According to the websites I've visited, most of them says that there's no cure for it except for one that mentions if it's in the early stage, then we may be able to "contain it with a broad-spectrum internal parasite medication."

As of now, the fish has the bend back, fin rot (has been trying to treat for a long time), fins look slightly clamped, normal appetite. There's only this one fish in the tank: its buddy, a shubunkin, passed away not long ago due to unknown reason (I suspected that it was swim bladder's disease and tried to cure it but it quickly passed away on the next day).

Have you guys seen this happen before? If so, what would you suggest that we do?

Thanks for your time,

CiCi

Prolonged exposure to high levels of nitrate can cause bent spine or the fish to rest with its tail fin or body in a curled tail position that why noing your water parameters would help with a diagnosis also if you have been treating fin rot for a long that can be caused by poor water quality @Ceci

On 4/17/2023 at 6:26 PM, Ceci said:

ahh, so as of now, you don't think it is fish tuberculosis? I will be get a testing kit but is there anything I can do during this time as I wait for it to arrive?

Increase water changes and add aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallons just remember to only add back in what your take out so if you do a 1 gallon water change add one table spoon of salt back the salt will help with fin rot  the chloride ions in the salt will act as a barrier to prevent your fish from absorbing  nitrates and nitrites I would leave the salt at that level for a week

Edited by Colu

Hi guys, my tests arrived today and here are the result attached. For the strip, We took a picture right after 1 min

Note: the the nitrite looks to be "caution" according to my brother who took the test but we are not sure

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

It's difficult to tell if your ammonia is 0 or 0.25 might a have slight hint of green  your nitrates look  raised I would aim to keep them at no more than 40ppm your pH is on the higher side for goldfish they do best in a range of 6.5-7.5 but that shouldn't be causing the symptoms your seeing I would do a  water change when ever your nitrate get above 40ppm I would also test your tap water to see whether you have nitrate in your tap water @Ceci

Hi Colu, i will do another water change! What product would you suggest I use to lower nitrate if it is detected in tap water?

Do you think my fish will get better with time or would it stay in that condition? So far, it has been eating normally and the activity doesn't seem to be abnormal.

Also, how long should I do the salt treatment (1 tablespoon per gallon) for?

Edited by Ceci

On 4/24/2023 at 1:48 AM, Ceci said:

Hi Colu, i will do another water change! What product would you suggest I use to lower nitrate if it is detected in tap water?

Do you think my fish will get better with time or would it stay in that condition? So far, it has been eating normally and the activity doesn't seem to be abnormal.

Also, how long should I do the salt treatment (1 tablespoon per gallon) for?

I would stop the salt treatment and I would  monitor for next two weeks it can take weeks for a fish  to recover from  nitrate poisoning if that was the cause   the best way to lower nitrate is by adding plants water lettuce does really well in goldfish tank you could try Elodie or add some emergen plants such  as porthos am going to tag @Guppysnailas they uses a lot of  emergen plants as I have very little experience with them 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:38 AM, Colu said:

uses a lot of  emergen plants as I have very little experience with them 

I found that almost any houseplants that can tolerate wet feet you can propagate in a tank. Just taking a clipping and sticking in the tank or HOB and it grows. 
For goldfish things with thicker roots like pothos are good. Lucky bamboo is great with plant eaters since it is very tough. Here is a thread that gives some great ideas on emergent plants for nitrate reduction. I’m including a video by Plantlife project. They do many on emergent ideas. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/24/2023 at 3:38 AM, Colu said:

I would stop the salt treatment and I would  monitor for next two weeks it can take weeks for a fish  to recover from  nitrate poisoning if that was the cause   the best way to lower nitrate is by adding plants water lettuce does really well in goldfish tank you could try Elodie or add some emergen plants such  as porthos am going to tag @Guppysnailas they uses a lot of  emergen plants as I have very little experience with them 

Hi Colu, thanks so much for the suggestions! I will let my family know to stop the salt treatment. 

I would also like to use Kanaplex to treat the fin rot. Do you think now is a good time to start it or should I wait for the curvature to go away first? 

Also, should I be aware of anything when using Kanaplex? Thanks!

On 4/24/2023 at 5:16 AM, Guppysnail said:

I found that almost any houseplants that can tolerate wet feet you can propagate in a tank. Just taking a clipping and sticking in the tank or HOB and it grows. 
For goldfish things with thicker roots like pothos are good. Lucky bamboo is great with plant eaters since it is very tough. Here is a thread that gives some great ideas on emergent plants for nitrate reduction. I’m including a video by Plantlife project. They do many on emergent ideas. 

Hello Guppysnail, I really appreciate you taking the time to tag the video and dasaltemelosguy's fantastic research report! I just happen to have lucky bamboo and peace lilies in my house! I will be plopping a few down the tank! I was wondering if you suggest setting up an air stone in there as well? I haven't had one in the tank ever since the machine broke down but I have a filter and the fish seems to be doing alright with out it. Thanks!

If your going to treat with kanaplex just remember it can harm your benefial bacterial so keep a close eye on your water parameters during treatment I would add an air stone back in during treatment as the medication changes the viscosity of water lowering the levels of desloved oxygen @Ceci

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 2:20 AM, Ceci said:

was wondering if you suggest setting up an air stone in there as well?

I’m the type of person who always runs airstones. Though Betta have a labyrinth organ and breath air it’s not necessary, him having issues it certainly would not hurt to add one. If medication is going in the tank it does lower dissolved oxygen. 

Goid luck with your little guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got it! Thanks for all your advices! I think I will first put the plants into the tank and see if my goldfish gets any better. If there hasn't been any changes, I'll put in the Kanaplex. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

By the way, how would I decrease the nitrate in the water during the Kanaplex treatment since the plants would be taken out of the tank?

You can leave the plants in during treatment but kanaplex can cause some types of plants to melt back do a large water change 50% water change before you start treating with kanaplex reduce feeding to once a day during treatment  that should help keep your nitrates below 40ppm during treatment  @Ceci

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1