DYI Acrylic Tank Lid????

evonner

I am wanting to make my own acrylic tank lids. So I'm seeking some advice. I'm thinking the thickness should be at least 1/8" and no more than 1/4".  It needs to be easy to score and/or cut to fit the cut outs that I need. I've been looking at Home Depot and I'm not really finding anything within size and budget. A normal hood does not fit my equipment setup and my fish are very upset with me that I drop the hood on their heads several times a week, their heads hurt and they want me to stop doing this to them, LOL. So they and I would really appreciate any ideas that anyone has? Maybe another option could be that I could make additional cut outs in the existing hood so that they fit in the inner hood grooves. IDK. 

I’m not sure if this helps, I love acrylic tanks but have only ever had glass ones but the premise appears the same. If I’m understanding the post correctly this would be along the same lines as making existing cut outs in the existing hood. As far as material I haven’t seen much in the way of acrylic for diy projects online but a lot of people use the greenhouse paneling to make lids, and I’m sure there could possibly be a working application with a little clever thought for a custom acrylic tank, shopping around you can find decent price points, anyway, here’s a recent coop video doing some lid customizing as well that might spark some thought, just my 2 cents…

• Thanks 1

I would get hold of some of the clear greenhouse panels. they are easy to cut with a box cutter or any kind of saw to customize them the way you want. Acrylic lids will warp over time, especially if they are 1/8", and even though it is acrylic, you will need a saw or drill to make holes and cutouts in them unlike the greenhouse panels. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

There are acrylic specialty stores such as tap plastic. If you have one in your area they can cut the panel and they have acrylic “grips” to glue to the lid to make it easier to take off. I would definitely go with 1/4” my 1/8” warped. Granted it was $8 and setting some heavy encyclopedias on it restored it’s straightness. I imagine it’ll warp again. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:31 PM, evonner said:

I am wanting to make my own acrylic tank lids. So I'm seeking some advice. I'm thinking the thickness should be at least 1/8" and no more than 1/4".  It needs to be easy to score and/or cut to fit the cut outs that I need. I've been looking at Home Depot and I'm not really finding anything within size and budget. A normal hood does not fit my equipment setup and my fish are very upset with me that I drop the hood on their heads several times a week, their heads hurt and they want me to stop doing this to them, LOL. So they and I would really appreciate any ideas that anyone has? Maybe another option could be that I could make additional cut outs in the existing hood so that they fit in the inner hood grooves. IDK. 

Call sign making stores. They sell what you need and may have scraps in the sizes you need. The one hours sign Place tend to be more friendly. Price in mit sure about if you need the cut. You can buy handles on Amazon and the “glue” to set the handles and of you use hinges. 

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Do you have a link to what you found at Amazon?

I decided to cut my existing hoods to allow secure fit for my extra equipment in the back. It's a temporary fix for evaporation until I can check out what everyone has suggested. My full spectrum lights are submersible but I'm not comfortable with that so they are suction cupped to the hood. So my temp fix works but making a custom lid is what I really want for the long run. I think that is one of my most favorite parts of this hobby, is how creative we can be.