Do Water Changes Cause Shrimp to Breed?

PineSong

In my shrimp-only tanks I've always done few and far between water changes--maybe a gallon or two from a 10g once a month or every other month, and I add the new water in gradually over the course of the day so there aren't any big temperature or pH changes.

About four or five weeks ago I began doing a 50% water change 2x per week in my 29 which has guppy moms and fry in it, and a 30% change once a week in my 20g long, and in those changes I just dump in all the new water at once, so there are no kid gloves at all for the shrimp in those tanks.

I've noticed that in those two tanks there are so many large berried females. I am wondering if increased water changes has increased breeding?

Anyone have similar observations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do 50% once a week on all my tanks. Nothing gentle I use pumps to return water. My shrimp are crazy prolific. I do have a few snail tanks I’m not as diligent about weekly changes and I get less breeding. I do notice water changes help my shrimp not to get stuck in molts.   Ones that are close to molt usually molt after water change. I lose a few now and then in my snail tanks I’m lazy about and it is obvious they were stuck in their shell and could not molt. Females mate witching hours of molting prior to their shells hardening so that may be part of it. 

• Thanks 1

How long have you has the shrimp?  They don't really breed much if at all for several months after getting them. They take a long time to adjust. After they start though, females will pretty much always be berried. You may have just hit the point where they feel comfortable starting to breed idk. 

On 3/28/2023 at 9:03 PM, Cinnebuns said:

How long have you has the shrimp?  They don't really breed much if at all for several months after getting them. They take a long time to adjust. After they start though, females will pretty much always be berried. You may have just hit the point where they feel comfortable starting to breed idk. 

I’ve had the shrimp in my 20’s for a year or more. They have reproduced consistently since arriving but I don’t recall seeing virtually every visible female hugely berried all at once, it was more of an every now and then event.

I guess it’s time to ditch the special treatment in my shrimp-only tank and see if my orange ladies respond to more water changes the same way!

• Love 2

On 3/28/2023 at 9:56 PM, PineSong said:

I’ve had the shrimp in my 20’s for a year or more. They have reproduced consistently since arriving but I don’t recall seeing virtually every visible female hugely berried all at once, it was more of an every now and then event.

I guess it’s time to ditch the special treatment in my shrimp-only tank and see if my orange ladies respond to more water changes the same way!

It's entirely possible I'm wrong about that. I'm still relatively new to shrimp and by no means an expert. Thats just what those who know more than me have told me and 2nd hand knowledge like that isn't always accurate. Please take that information for what it is. I maybe should have said that before to be more responsible with the info 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 4:53 PM, PineSong said:

I've noticed that in those two tanks there are so many large berried females. I am wondering if increased water changes has increased breeding?

Anyone have similar observations?

yes.  Oxygenation, clean water, fresh water does trigger them to be more active.

I believe this touches on it, but I am re-watching right now.

Also explained in detail here.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added video
  • Like 2