Hello from Baltimore.

I am a renewed aquarist. My daughter won a goldfish at a carnival. I do wish I would have told her no lol I will go and buy you a fish. Now I have a 2 year old gold fish that is thriving and I know I will never have a tank big enough to house this common fancy tailed goldfish. So long story short went and bought a used tank on marketplace a 50 gallon bow front and it came with an fx4 very overkill but I don't mind. It was cheap. I want to do some Apisto's community tank. None of my local fish stores have Apisto's any idea of a good online source for them. Locals say they can't find a good breeder atm. I cycled the tank for a month got decent nitrate levels and bought some neon's. Just to see how they would do. One did die but the others are thriving. 2 got some fin damage so I have them in a quaretine tank getting treated. Also have a bristlenose in the 50 as well. Thank you for any replies. 

• Like 1

Hi, and welcome!  You are so kind to the goldfish - what an upgrade!  What I've read in posts here about goldfish - they seem to eat a lot of plants, but I heard that they are good with moss balls - they have fun pushing them around the tank, and the moss balls help to better the water quality.

Goldfish are cold water fish, and neons are tropical, but you should be able to find a temperature to suit both, perhaps 74-ish.

@Hannah Parker keeps goldfish as well and might be able to offer some additional tips for goldfish care.

• Like 1

Great job taking care of that poor carnival fish! A common goldfish would definitely eat most plants. I keep Anubias with my fancy goldfish pretty easily. I also added pothos and bamboo sticking out of the top of the tank for extra plant filtration. I think it's great that the tank came with an overkill filter! That is especially good for goldfish because they are so dirty.  I have heard bristlenose plecos do best in tropical temperatures. I was wanting to keep one in my goldfish tank as well, but decided against it. I haven't found a good algae eater for a goldfish tank (besides hillstream loaches) yet! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 9:06 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hi, and welcome!  You are so kind to the goldfish - what an upgrade!  What I've read in posts here about goldfish - they seem to eat a lot of plants, but I heard that they are good with moss balls - they have fun pushing them around the tank, and the moss balls help to better the water quality.

Goldfish are cold water fish, and neons are tropical, but you should be able to find a temperature to suit both, perhaps 74-ish.

@Hannah Parker keeps goldfish as well and might be able to offer some additional tips for goldfish care.

there are some nice hair algae tanks (ive heard they are alot of work) 

https://www.facebook.com/aquascapinglove/videos/1217687548409496/ 

Hello All and thanks for the welcome. Im sure that once that goldfish outgrows that 20 gallon I will need something way bigger for him. May set up a cold water 55 for him and some others just not goldfish. Sorry I know there are some goldfish lovers out there they just get too big for most aquarist. They need tons of room to grow. 

• Like 1