Seeding new sponge filter

Robstar

Just by running it for a couple of weeks in the same tank together with the established filter really.

Some say 2 weeks is enough but I wouldn't do less than a month myself. But even then, I would stockthe new tank really slow as always.

How stocked is your established tank?

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1

I usually go with a month myself, just to be safe but I'm sure you could get away with a couple of weeks. In the past I've taken established filters for use in a new setup, and replaced them with new ones, hedging my bet that the bacteria in the rest of the tank will carry it over until the new filter is established.

• Thanks 1

I try to go a week. 5 days is oks and depending on the tank it goes 3 can work. I try to keep 2 many tanks. This allows me to always have one ready for a new tank or if I have to treat a tank I can pop in one from the existing tank. Then I can just add a new one to the old tank and not worry. I was worried at first that I would be able to see that hen and the space they take up but I have gotten half way decent at hiding them with hardscape and plants.