Looking For Platy Color Ideas.

Theplatymaster

I am definitely a fan of platies, and platy breeding.

At different points in my hobby, ive liked this for multiple reasons.

for example when i was really new, i just wanted MORE FISH.

but now my reasons have changed.

now im breeding these fish for scientific reasons, to try to learn about their genetics. But the thing is, it doesnt matter to me AT ALL, which platies i breed.

So got any ideas on platy color varieties?

If i can see it in my fish i may try to work on it, though some platy traits i dont have at all.

So im excepting pretty much all ideas at this point.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

I bred my platies aiming for blue coloration, but due to red genes that didn't show up in the parent fish, some of the offspring are bright orange/red instead and while at first I was not thrilled, I must admit that when there are a group of the red and black guys, they are pretty stunning and look fantastic against the green plants in the tank. If I was adding tanks I would breed for that deep red orange and black combo.

The photo below shows one of the blue offspring with a tiny hint of red on the dorsal fin, and one of his red brothers. 

IMG_6608.jpg

• Love 3

On 3/17/2023 at 11:23 AM, PineSong said:

I bred my platies aiming for blue coloration, but due to red genes that didn't show up in the parent fish, some of the offspring are bright orange/red instead and while at first I was not thrilled, I must admit that when there are a group of the red and black guys, they are pretty stunning and look fantastic against the green plants in the tank. If I was adding tanks I would breed for that deep red orange and black combo.

The photo below shows one of the blue offspring with a tiny hint of red on the dorsal fin, and one of his red brothers. 

IMG_6608.jpg

i could try this.

i dont think i have any males with blue though, so breeding out blue will be difficult.

I have noticed if my black male, breeds with an orange and blue female, the blue does not come out in the fry.

I think it would be cool to get almost a police platy.

Blue front, red back.

and throw in red fins just for fun.

now i am seriously considering this idea... 🤔

On 3/17/2023 at 6:23 PM, PineSong said:

IMG_6608.jpg

Is this coloring related to cancer issues black swordtails are having or not at all?

On 3/17/2023 at 11:31 AM, Lennie said:

Is this coloring related to cancer issues black swordtails are having or not at all?

from what i understand this cancer is caused when a platy with the black gene, (body or fin), with a platy that has no black gene, the black gene then causes a cancer.

i think this is why i have a full black platy, when none of its parents have it, i think it was something with this gene.

I love those blue.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:08 PM, PineSong said:

I can't believe more people aren't obsessed with them and I hypothesize that if they were harder to breed and keep alive, more people would be.

likely. Overbreeding is a big issue for a lot of people tbh, including me. And I don't like keeping a fish to control the population so livebearers are a pass

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, PineSong said:

I can't believe more people aren't obsessed with them and I hypothesize that if they were harder to breed and keep alive, more people would be.

i am totally platy obsessed.

also i agree, i think them being sold as bread and butter standard beginner stock doesnt really make them feel like very special fish, but honestly, they are amazing.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:23 AM, Theplatymaster said:

maybe?

ive found that it grows faster in the higher light,but seems to be growing as well in the low light, but in that tank it may just be some java moss.

ive put a extra light on my jar, just for better lighting, so ill see how it does. (its a very bright light)

IMG_6608.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, PineSong said:

@rockfisher, me too! I just put together my best blue female and blue male a few weeks ago and I'm hoping for fry soon.

I don’t think I have seen the before. Im not a big platy guy, but I can’t remember see them. I may have to go out and find some. I have a pond to breed some in.  

• Like 1

IMG_6608.jpg

now you have me thinking to do a project to try to stabilize the blue in my colony...🤔

oh no, im seriously considering this now, considering how much i love the shiny blue in platies.

• Like 1

@PineSong

im tottaly trying to copy those fish in the picture.

i have no males with blue, so ill have to just breed my best blue female, and get the blue in the offspring.

so i moved my best female with blue to the breeding tank. The male in there is red, just because i was using him for a different project, and dont have any other setups available for breeding pairs.

• Like 1