Help leveling tank

dan12boy

On 3/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, Tommy Vercetti said:

You could use wooden shims or even composite shims are available at lowes or home depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-Wood-Shims-12-Piece-per-Bundle-WSSHW08/300723328#overlay

The stand only has 4 points of contact with the ground. Is there a specific thickness the shims would need to be? 

This is the stand image.jpg.17f2c029d6651a1bbd6e054217faea90.jpg

Does it wobble because the carpet is softer than a hard floor, or because the legs are uneven, ie they are applying uneven pressure at different corners? Like is it wobbling from a front corner to opposite back corner? Or just jiggling when you shake or push it? Personally I don't know if shims will help. They'll actually reduce the psi or pounds per square inch of pressure at the bottom of each leg by spreading the weight of each leg over a larger area. This will result in less compression of the carpet/fibers, which will result in greater 'springiness' not less. 

If it was me, I'd attach a 2x2 or 2x4 horizontal brace to the wall behind the stand, below the top of the stand, secured to at least two studs in the wall. Then I'd brace the two back legs back to the wall brace. If there is a single part or device for this, I don't know it, so you might be in for some trial and error or shopping to see what looks right. 

• Like 1

I would try to place the tank so it isn't over the grate.

You can use bricks / wood to make a flat surface or put a sheet of plastic on top of the carpet too.  this is common for computers due to static.  I would recommend lexan if you can find some.  If you get some off cuts, you can just place one under each leg and level the stand as you normally would.

Honestly, that stand doesn't look like it is too stable. I don't like how the top and bottom horizontal pieces that the tank sits on is not on top of the legs and just butts up to the legs. I can't tell if it is welded or what. I would use some wood to stabilize the stand, running a angled cross brace on each side as well as the back. That will most likely take the wobble out of the stand. 

• Like 2