Filtration

Tyffani

So I’ve been thinking about buying a sponge filter and I’ve done some research on how they work and all and really my only question is do I need to use a hang on filter with it or can I just use the sponge filter by itself?

• Like 2

Ultimately I think it depends on the size of the tank.  You can easily run off of nothing but sponge filters, but I've seen vids of people running multiple sponge filters to cover a larger tank.  I bought starter kits for my first tanks and those came with HOB filters, but when I started quarantining I bought a sponge filter and let it sit in my 20 gallon to get some of that good beneficial bacteria before I put it in the quarantine tub.

• Like 1

I personally came from the opposite side, Always had HOB and decided to introduce sponge filter later on.

I think the combination is great. A great opportunity to increase the quality of life in the tank, in my opinion.

I keep my sponge filter in the only dead spot in the tank. HOB helps with flow, as well as gives you a chance to introduce biomedia, mechanical filter, and chemical filter and a small waterfall effect. In my case, sponge filter helped me to get rid of from a dead spot and helped with more surface agitation, and fish enjoy that more oxygen content in the water. Also sponge filter surface is full of yummys for fish and shrimp to pick on! 

But other than that, as others mentioned, you def not need a combination of two. If your budget allows, it may be nice to have

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 8:52 PM, Tyffani said:

So I’ve been thinking about buying a sponge filter and I’ve done some research on how they work and all and really my only question is do I need to use a hang on filter with it or can I just use the sponge filter by itself?

Welcome to the forums. 

You can absolutely use just a sponge filter.  I have 2 tanks right now that run purely off of sponge filters.  Some species want more movement, which is where a "power filter" or hang-on filter comes in handy.  You can get a pump a certain size for the species in question, there's a little bit more circulation by comparison to a sponge, but the big difference is that you have a modified flow pattern.  Sponges will circulate water one way, the powered filters will flow in a different way.  You may have more mulm on the water compared to Hang-on back filters, but all of them have their dead spots depending on your setup and scape.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on the size tank you have will determine the kind of 
filtration you need as well as how many fish & plant's are in it.

I have a 75 gal & it has 3 zebra danio's 3 Cory's & 3 nerite snails 
& 3 molly's, I also have a bunch of plant's to help with the filtration,
Java Ferns, Octopus plant's, jungle Val, Amazon Swords, & 2 types
of bacopa.

I have 2-100 gph hob's & a ugf as well, but in a few weeks I'll be 
adding more fish to the tank, I top off the tank every week if it 
needs it & I clean the hob's once a month cause I have a intake 
sponge on them that I clean every other week & no water change.

I was having a issue with the danio's picking on each other cause I 
had leopard danio's with them but since I have seperated them their
all doing fine now so with the tank the Leopard danio's are in is a 30
gal & it has 5 danio's, 3 Cory's 3 nerite snails & jungle Val going with 
a 75 gph canister filter & it gets well filtered & no issues with it.

So it all depends on what you have in the tank & what you want 
your tank to look like & how often you want to maintain it to keep 
it in good condition, the less fish you have with more plant's has a 
sweet spot that you can work less & enjoy more is my thought.