Temperature Gun

handorf

I saw Cory using a temperature gun in a video and wanted to try it myself. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent temp gun at low-mid range pricing? I glanced at Home Depot online for a minute or two but instantly felt paralyzed by the options and having zero experience using one.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have an expensive temp gun from work that I really like. Milwaukee M18 but it was over a hundred dollars. Anyways one thing to note about these temp guns is that the glass will be slightly different temperatures than the water and also that the color of the object you scan changes the reading. The gun is calibrated for neutral colors in order to average the readings across all surfaces. But a white wall and a black wall that are the same temperature will read slightly different. I have to add about a degree to all my readings I find. Have fun! They are really fun to use

16786770963264284195542127786093.jpg

Yup I have the etekcity one too but in a different brand. They tend to be most reliable and was recommended by my reptile vet. 

Just know it’s not going to be exact what with glass barrier insulation value but it’ll be pretty darn close. 

It’s also just been generally useful, just used it to recalibrate the temperature sensor on our home’s thermostat because it was off by a good 5 degrees.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 2