Sheath? Mystery Snail Sexing Question,

Theplatymaster

On 3/8/2023 at 8:04 PM, AquariumCentral said:

Most snails are Asexual, meaning they can reproduce by themself. They also may mate and reproduce, just for the fun of sex

Only a few animals are known to have sex for "fun". They are usually just doing it to continue their population. And snails are not one of them, as far as I know.

Bladders, ramshorns and MTS are hermaphrodites. Although bladders and MTS can reproduce alone, ramshorns need to mate and store sperm as far as I know to have babies from one. Which is usually a pretty common case as all you need is two being kept together for some time, so people think their ramshorns give babies alone too.

On the other hand, assasins, mysteries and rabbit snails do have male and females. In order to breed, they need one from each.

On 3/8/2023 at 12:18 PM, Lennie said:

ramshorns need to mate and store sperm as far as I know to have babies from one.

Nope. Ramshorns can do it either sexually or asexually. They are also hermaphrodite. They PREFER to reproduce sexually but are able to asexually when forced to. They just don't do it as well as other species and tend to create genetic issues I believe. When I was line breeding ramshorns, this was sometimes something utilized to get cones of one snail. You put it alone at a young enough age and keep it alone and you get clones. 

They actually can take some time deciding who will be male and who will be female if you only have 2. I've had 2 alone for months before they laid eggs before.