Angelfish Spawns

AllFishNoBrakes

No questions, just wanted to share with my fellow fish friends. 1 week, 2 different Angelfish spawns. 

A9E68525-DFA0-46BF-8391-165F040B80FC.jpeg
Panda Angelfish spawn 

A58718A6-FA6B-45BF-8A3A-D3E7CC3B8651.jpeg
Black female X Panda male spawn 

Both spawns from this week. The Panda spawn a few days ago and the black x panda spawn from today. None of these eggs were kept as I already have 50-75 juvenile Panda’s growing out and another 20 fry behind them. One day I’ll have the space to have enough grow out tanks to raise all these additional spawns!

While I’m no expert, I’ve successfully hatched/raised/sold lots of Angels. I’m happy to share what has worked for me and what I do. If you have any questions just holler!

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Love 1

@Ken Burke They get hatched and begin life in a 2.5 gallon

F7238680-4D59-4B76-929B-7EFFB7B387CD.jpeg

Next step is a 1/2 full 10 gallon. Each week with maintenance I add a gallon or two as the water change 

8A30DA0F-8ACC-49FC-9BA7-FD0FB113F3B6.jpeg

They stay here until I’m like, “alright, they need a bigger home and I have the time to move them”.

5C3F8AA5-E6F6-4AAA-BBD1-E7E63EDEC18C.jpeg

From here, they get moved to a 55. 1/3 of the 55 is divided off for the Panda pair and my Bristlenose Pleco pair. I grow them out in that tank until they’re ready to be sold. 

8501813E-5D97-4E95-930C-74BD2C86B12B.jpeg

From here, they get bagged up and go to the LFS!

@Ken Burke Apolgies for the second tag, but I don’t know a better way to “insert” pictures and then have the text the way I want it, other than adding, editing, saving, editing, adding, saving, edit, add, save, etc. Apologies, but this should give you a pretty good picture of what I do 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 9:19 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

No questions, just wanted to share with my fellow fish friends. 1 week, 2 different Angelfish spawns. 

A9E68525-DFA0-46BF-8391-165F040B80FC.jpeg
Panda Angelfish spawn 

A58718A6-FA6B-45BF-8A3A-D3E7CC3B8651.jpeg
Black female X Panda male spawn 

Both spawns from this week. The Panda spawn a few days ago and the black x panda spawn from today. None of these eggs were kept as I already have 50-75 juvenile Panda’s growing out and another 20 fry behind them. One day I’ll have the space to have enough grow out tanks to raise all these additional spawns!

While I’m no expert, I’ve successfully hatched/raised/sold lots of Angels. I’m happy to share what has worked for me and what I do. If you have any questions just holler!

*Attempts to holler, voice cracks* 😅

I’m just beginning to set up my 55gal tank. I had originally planned on fancy goldfish, but after going way down the rabbit hole of Angelfish videos, articles, and posts like this one, I’m hooked. 

I live in Central PA and unfortunately our water is…not exactly comparable to that of an Amazonian tributary. Hard water with a Ph hovering around 8.  I suppose my question is, should I try to chase better parameters, or just focus on a clean,  well cycled tank? 

thanks in advance

• Like 2

@MalevolentMermaid I made the decision early on to not chase parameters.  I focus on consistency instead of trying to alter/make my water and it has worked out great for me. In my opinion, Angelfish are so widely bred and distributed that it shouldn’t be an issue. In a perfect world, you could find a local breeder to buy your stock from but even without that I wouldn’t be worried.

Now, if you were going for wild caught fish, that might be a different discussion. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, MalevolentMermaid said:

I’m just beginning to set up my 55gal tank. I had originally planned on fancy goldfish, but after going way down the rabbit hole of Angelfish videos, articles, and posts like this one, I’m hooked. 

I live in Central PA and unfortunately our water is…not exactly comparable to that of an Amazonian tributary. Hard water with a Ph hovering around 8.  I suppose my question is, should I try to chase better parameters, or just focus on a clean,  well cycled tank? 

thanks in advance

I was just watching an coop video where Dean talks about his experience breeding angelfish and he said that he has bred angels over 8.0 ph, so going off of that I would not chase lower ph and softer water and focus on clean water.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, MalevolentMermaid said:

thanks in advance

I think you will be fine. I don’t chase perimeters. My ph is not as high as yours it was high. I don’t chase the numbers I do one thing. I load up a pantyhose section with peat and put in the filter. I change it once a month or when the filter needs cleaning. Which is ever the longest. It does work miracles but it’s very simple and it lowers ph, softens the water and can be de-areas fish. Or if you are ok with a black water set up I make black water tea with oak leaves.