Indostomus paradoxus width

beastie

Could anyone advise what dimension of bamboo pipe to get? Available diameters are 0,5 cm, 1cm and 1,5 cm. I already have a ceramic tube that is 15 cm long and 5 cm in diametr sitting on the tank bottom. l want to stick some bamboo in the moss, maybe on top of the moss and vertically near the filter and can't decide what width.

EIght pieces are arriving to my shrimp tank on Wednesday after a half a year wait ! The tank has some mites and copepods and i only need a day to hatch new brine shrimp and have a culture micro worm ordered, so feeding wise should be all set.

IMG_20230129_190511.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So… is the binomial in your title pertinent to your question? I’m just trying to understand.

Bamboo leaves should grow out of water for plant to thrive long-term. They can grow for a moderate time immersed, but tend to break down. Larger / taller plants work well to that end.

Per the Sticklebacks, here is a helpful post…

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/indostomus-paradoxus/

On 3/3/2023 at 10:17 PM, Fish Folk said:

So… is the binomial in your title pertinent to your question? I’m just trying to understand.

Bamboo leaves should grow out of water for plant to thrive long-term. They can grow for a moderate time immersed, but tend to break down. Larger / taller plants work well to that end.

As we talked about it I can respond. She wonders what would be the ideal cave-like tubes for their home/breeding needs! Like bamboo tubes

Something like this, but we had no idea what are the ideal sizes there or in general:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 3/3/2023 at 10:27 PM, Fish Folk said:

Breeders might use PVC piping

I've been seeing it for red lizards too. Is there a specific reason behind using pvcs specifically for breeding purposes compared to ceramics or natural tubes like bamboos?

I wonder why fish tend to go for pvcs.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, Lennie said:

I've been seeing it for red lizards too. Is there a specific reason behind using pvcs specifically for breeding purposes compared to ceramics or natural tubes like bamboos?

I wonder why fish tend to go for pvcs.

Probably just cheap and easy.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:22 PM, Lennie said:

As we talked about it I can respond. She wonders what would be the ideal cave-like tubes for their home/breeding needs! Like bamboo tubes

Something like this, but we had no idea what are the ideal sizes there or in general:

That’s freaking adorable!  😍

I would also suggest multiple sizes, multiple sites, bamboo, PVC in white and black, whatever you think might work to make that happen in your tank!  We will need video!

Since we know they get about 3 cm long, we can estimate the size of that tube in that very helpful video as approximately 1/3 the body length we see on that female.  She may not be a full 3 cm long if she’s a young adult but I would say tubes from 1 cm to about 1.5 cm ID should be about right.  Usually the smallest PVC pipe I see is 1/2” ID, which is probably close enough.  I know it comes smaller but good luck finding it at a local store.

Bamboo is going to be naturally variable and I would aim for 1 cm ID to as much as 2 cm ID and a good variation in between.  If you get a long stick of bamboo that’s about 1 cm ID at the skinny end, I bet you could get everything you need by cutting them into 2-2.5” sections.  Zip tie them together in small clumps and stand or lay them around in the tank.  They’ll need a weight to hold them down.  Breeding reports I just read says they should probably mostly lay down.  I would do both since that tube is clearly standing.

Why am I now planning out a tank?  Anybody know if Indostomus crocodilus  breeds the same way?  Someone stop me!  I do NOT need to take on a new species!

On 3/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, Fish Folk said:

Probably just cheap and easy.

Plus easier to clean and more durable than bamboo.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 2:24 AM, Odd Duck said:

That’s freaking adorable!  😍

I know right!

When they enter the tube backwards, I lost it 😄 They are so cute. 

I'm as excited as @beastie😄

On 3/4/2023 at 2:24 AM, Odd Duck said:

Plus easier to clean and more durable than bamboo.

Interesting to know! Makes sense yeah

• Love 1

Thanks, will try to o talk the seller into giving me various sizes and will figure something out.

Now i am contemplating if the moss is not too thick, but that will wait until i actually get the fish and see how they behave.

So seller of the bamboo is not replying to me yet, but the fish have meanwhile arrived ! 🙂

Super exciting, they are smaller than the red cherry shrimps and completely adorable. Cant take a decent picture, my macro zoom on the phone is not so good.

1678196393009.jpg

1678196474194.jpg

1678196474207.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 3/7/2023 at 9:10 AM, beastie said:

So seller of the bamboo is not replying to me yet, but the fish have meanwhile arrived ! 🙂

Super exciting, they are smaller than the red cherry shrimps and completely adorable. Cant take a decent picture, my macro zoom on the phone is not so good.

1678196393009.jpg

1678196474194.jpg

1678196474207.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-07_09-22-48.png.a92402fcdda747fe73f66104e70f914d.png

Screenshot_2023-03-07_09-23-55.png.e6b8a4351a470d6e052b2f09607d5aa3.png

pipefish,

fun!

Edited by Theplatymaster

Also, i have a cholla wood piece there, i put it diagonally to the glass at the side and what didn't happen, one of the fish took residence there already!!!

So adorable need to obtain the bamboo soon, seems they do appreciate it a lot

• Love 1