Time to rethink things

Flying fox 6523

Hello again fish friends, well I've been looking at my 75 gal 
long enough to see feel & tell it's time to change things up

Yea plant's need to be redone, substrate needs to be changed 
I want some bigger fish (not monsters) but something bigger 
than danio's, something I can see better when it's over grown.

I'll keep my Albino Corie catfish but I'm thinking maybe get 
some flag fish & some nerite snails or some other type to 
eat algae & wasted food & stuff that's big enough to see.

I'm going through ALL the rocks & gravel I have in buckets 
to see just what I have that I can put in the tank to replace 
the sand, that's why I was asking in my other 2 post about 
gravel versus sand & about algae eating fish & that helped.

I want to thank you all for your comments on them other 
2 post, it put a lot of insight on what I'm looking for with 
this aquarium that has kept my sanity at ease, Thank you.❤

I'LL make a short video of what the aquarium looks like 
b-4 I dismantle it over the weekend & show you what 
it looks like AFTER I set it back up again so you can see it.
Time to change the Aquarium < short video 

If you have anything you want to add be my guest, cause 
I'm open to any photos or videos you want to share on this 
or anything you have on your mind that might help others.

• Like 4

On 2/28/2023 at 9:06 PM, Fish Folk said:

Ditch the tropical. Go native.

I second this! Really loving my native species these days. But if that's not your fancy it sounds like with the river rock, pea gravel and increased flow you talk about in your video is setting up nicely for a hillstream tank!

Larger barbs, wild swordtails, loaches, maybe a group of riverine congo cichlids. 

one of my 75gallons has Denison barbs, congo tetras, swordtails, Odessa barbs, stiphodon gobies, bristlenose plecos and the best algae eater I've had other than bristlenose plecos, Crossocheilus reticulatus (reticulated SAE). 

So many possibility

Edited by MAC
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:28 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Those are pretty, how big do they get ? 
I'll have to check them out when I start 
working on my aquarium, thank you ❤

They’re about the dame size as Danios — maybe a touch larger. Sure hardy. NO HEATER. They’d love that tank. Here’s my juveniles I’m selling next week out to a buyer on the west coast…

C300F256-1694-43D2-AEC5-12C254AF7378.jpeg.df202f73fea478097c37e30c74365e5d.jpeg

0B767219-B1D5-45C3-93AD-8B955F6B0F84.jpeg.62ea978d7c595c8fc27c1c7d3d7f4dbf.jpeg

E8DAD0FA-8A07-4016-A10B-33BEB1B79966.jpeg.281e3393da8e57ce7a03948f81ae7673.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/1/2023 at 3:59 AM, MAC said:

I second this! Really loving my native species these days. But if that's not your fancy it sounds like with the river rock, pea gravel and increased flow you talk about in your video is setting up nicely for a hillstream tank!

Larger barbs, wild swordtails, loaches, maybe a group of riverine congo cichlids. 

one of my 75gallons has Denison barbs, congo tetras, swordtails, Odessa barbs, stiphodon gobies, bristlenose plecos and the best algae eater I've had other than bristlenose plecos, Crossocheilus reticulatus (reticulated SAE). 

So many possibility

Yea, not real sure what I  will end up with just yet but I know 
I don't want huge fish but something more medium sized 
I've been thinking about the size of molly's, swordtails, but 
something that won't tare my plants up or eat them either.
Thank You for the info ❤

On 3/1/2023 at 3:59 AM, MAC said:

So many possibility

On 3/1/2023 at 7:33 AM, Fish Folk said:

They’re about the dame size as Danios — maybe a touch larger. Sure hardy. NO HEATER. They’d love that tank. Here’s my juveniles I’m selling next week out to a buyer on the west coast…

C300F256-1694-43D2-AEC5-12C254AF7378.jpeg.df202f73fea478097c37e30c74365e5d.jpeg

0B767219-B1D5-45C3-93AD-8B955F6B0F84.jpeg.62ea978d7c595c8fc27c1c7d3d7f4dbf.jpeg

E8DAD0FA-8A07-4016-A10B-33BEB1B79966.jpeg.281e3393da8e57ce7a03948f81ae7673.jpeg

WOW ! They are AWESOME LOOKING, what other info can you give me ?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:36 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

WOW ! They are AWESOME LOOKING, what other info can you give me ?

So, Notropis chrosomus are commonly called Rainbow Shiners. They live wild in rivers and streams in the Southeastern Appalachian USA.

Their range stretches from North Carolina down into Alabama. There are a few distinct variations in color in the wild…

CDE491E3-3E4D-4B1C-9DD6-EB59E858E31B.jpeg.45522fa34482c7297a05534ce26b8804.jpeg

They are in the Hydrophlox shiner group — others of which are also spectacular when breeding. But Rainbows are beautiful both normally and when breeding. Here’s my brooders non-breeding…

48FB49C1-2E6B-4738-9F6C-AF1E52BD4E69.jpeg.13c62e7ee61f15efd2bdbdad0e437990.jpeg

And here are the same fish spawning…

4CC463FA-4730-4DD9-B872-E56A38E7EC57.jpeg.70c09f41c6f161d05ad1b8cb6150cc7a.jpeg

You just keep them in cold / room temperature water with no heater. They can handle as low as 40s, and as long as they gave lots of oxygen (e.g. your “spit-bar”) they can survive up to 80°-F. They eat flake food or frozen foods. They do not eat plants. Here are my juveniles, just starting to color up, in their planted tank…

If you’re interested in seeing more, here’s a long rambling journal where I share all about mine…

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/1/2023 at 8:45 AM, Fish Folk said:

So, Notropis chrosomus are commonly called Rainbow Shiners. They live wild in rivers and streams in the Southeastern Appalachian USA.

Their range stretches from North Carolina down into Alabama. There are a few distinct variations in color in the wild…

CDE491E3-3E4D-4B1C-9DD6-EB59E858E31B.jpeg.45522fa34482c7297a05534ce26b8804.jpeg

They are in the Hydrophlox shiner group — others of which are also spectacular when breeding. But Rainbows are beautiful both normally and when breeding. Here’s my brooders non-breeding…

48FB49C1-2E6B-4738-9F6C-AF1E52BD4E69.jpeg.13c62e7ee61f15efd2bdbdad0e437990.jpeg

And here are the same fish spawning…

4CC463FA-4730-4DD9-B872-E56A38E7EC57.jpeg.70c09f41c6f161d05ad1b8cb6150cc7a.jpeg

You just keep them in cold / room temperature water with no heater. They can handle as low as 40s, and as long as they gave lots of oxygen (e.g. your “spit-bar”) they can survive up to 80°-F. They eat flake food or frozen foods. They do not eat plants. Here are my juveniles, just starting to color up, in their planted tank…

If you’re interested in seeing more, here’s a long rambling journal where I share all about mine…

Interesting, I like the idea of how you have the tank set up 
I watched the 1st video you sent me they are awesome 
looking fish, if I was to make a couple rock piles for them 
would they breed in it without having to put them in another 
tank? & will can I put them with my danio's? thank you for 
the info,❤ I'll see if my fish store has some that I can get.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:09 AM, Pepere said:

Might I suggest adding some undergravel filter plates if you are doing a teardown.

They are cheap, last for a very long time and add a huge amount of biofiltration requiring minimal maintenance and are an excellent supplement to whatever other filtration you might opt for.

I wholeheartedly second this!   I have no idea why they declined in popularity because they are so effective.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 7:13 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Interesting, I like the idea of how you have the tank set up 
I watched the 1st video you sent me they are awesome 
looking fish, if I was to make a couple rock piles for them 
would they breed in it without having to put them in another 
tank? & will can I put them with my danio's? thank you for 
the info,❤ I'll see if my fish store has some that I can get.

On e mature, they will spawn over rock piles. If you want babies, you’ll need a way to pull eggs. I think they would get along fine with Danios.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 7:49 AM, Fish Folk said:

On e mature, they will spawn over rock piles. If you want babies, you’ll need a way to pull eggs. I think they would get along fine with Danios.

O.K. so they will spawn over rocks & ? maybe do good with Danios I'll give it a try once I get everything set up.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:49 AM, Fish Folk said:

On 3/2/2023 at 7:48 AM, Tactical Error said:

I wholeheartedly second this!   I have no idea why they declined in popularity because they are so effective.

How would I do that with hang on back filters ?
I have 1 that only fits a 55 gal aquarium & I have 
no intentions of setting up another tank with 
what space I have, is there a way to use the 1
I have in 2 areas of the 75 gal ?

I have used HOBs in conjunction with under gravel, because I like to have a lot of filtration.  

When I purchased my current 45, I want an under gravel for it, and the owner of the lfs scoffed at me that I was out of date with the times.  ( ok, whatever…).  So, I pulled the UGF out of the 30 gallon tank that I was upgrading from and put it in the 45.   It doesn’t cover the entire bottom, but it does cover about 2/3 of it, with a power head to drive the turnover.   And, I have a HOB in addition to that.   It works great!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:17 PM, Pepere said:

You simply decide where you want your HOB, and locate your ugf risers to not interfere with the chosen hob location.

ugf provides loads and loads of biofiltration but precious little mechanical filtration.  Hob can take care of that nicely….

you can of course opt for power heads on your ugf as opposed to airlift tubes.  Personally I like the simplicity of the airstone bubbler in the airlift tube…

ugf and hob compliment each other very nicely.

Even if the 1 I have for a for a 55 gal tank ? cause I can't find no 
bigger 1, if the 1 I have will work I'll take a stab at it thank you ❤

On 3/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, Tactical Error said:

I have used HOBs in conjunction with under gravel, because I like to have a lot of filtration.  

When I purchased my current 45, I want an under gravel for it, and the owner of the lfs scoffed at me that I was out of date with the times.  ( ok, whatever…).  So, I pulled the UGF out of the 30 gallon tank that I was upgrading from and put it in the 45.   It doesn’t cover the entire bottom, but it does cover about 2/3 of it, with a power head to drive the turnover.   And, I have a HOB in addition to that.   It works great!

So being it doesn't fit your tank it still helps the plant's that's around the ugf?

On 3/2/2023 at 9:05 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

So being it doesn't fit your tank it still helps the plant's that's around the ugf?

I’m not sure what you mean by it helping the plants - my tank is heavily planted and you would not know where the UGF is by looking at the plant growth.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 9:33 PM, Tactical Error said:

I’m not sure what you mean by it helping the plants - my tank is heavily planted and you would not know where the UGF is by looking at the plant growth.

I'm working on getting mine going & once I get it all set up again 
I hope everything I've done will do the trick for the plants. 🤞

• Like 1