Would like advice on rehoming high fin/ long fin peppered corys and more (Central NY)

KittenFishMom

Dear CARE Forum folks,

Thank you so much for all your help and support. I never could have gotten through the last year and a half without all your time, effort, and patients.

I have finally decided after a lot of thought that the aquarium hobby is not the right fit for me at this point in my life. We have so much on our plate here, it is just too much for me. I may come back to it in the future.

I want to rehome my adult peppered corys and my 40 to 50 cory fry first, then decide about the dream blue shrimp, adult neon tetras and adult male betta.  

I also plan to greatly reduce the amount of equipment and supplies I have.

If any of you can recommend fish stores, or fish keeper in the Syracuse, NY, Auburn, NY, or Ithaca,NY area that would be interested in my corys, please send me private mail.

If any of you are interested in doing a local pick up in those areas, please send me private mail.

I am also interested in suggestions for places that might want donations of equipment and / or supplies. 

Thanks so much !!

KittenFishMom

hifincorys.jpg.99fe5942a193e9496efc581e130c8f62.jpg

js.jpg.32c17c8c001fff53a20c9fdf4f271051.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

cc @TeeJay @Guppysnail

GuppySnail, can you post a photo of your long fins?  Kitten has been trying to get a grasp for how long the fins are and quality of her corydoras 🙂

On 2/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I am also interested in suggestions for places that might want donations of equipment and / or supplies. 

I'd suggest reaching out to flip aquatics.  They just did a tour on pecktec's channel and they have a rescue tank that they use where people can adopt fish that don't meet their standards or quality.  Bent spines and that sort of thing.  Given your own situation and what you've shared, they might be willing to help out.  I can't speak for them, but it might be a place where everything can go and take off that burden from you.

Genuinely, I hope you find a good home and getting a place for these fish and this stuff is easy on you.

• Love 1

@Ken Burke I may keep active on the forum. At this point I need the support of the forum more than the worries about the fish.

The corys won't stop laying eggs. It is hard to rehome fish where I live.  I was hoping for less than 10 cory fry, and I think I have around 50 in the fry tank. I am seeing more all the time in the adult tank, where I thought the eggs and the fry would be eaten. I was sure they would not survive there.  Also, a year ago, I had 2 cory die when I chased them with a net in muddy water, so I believe in cory toxins. I am worried about trying to catch and transport the corys without them getting frightened to death.  

I fought with the well water for months, then bought spring water for months, I'm now trying to get RO/DI water to work right in the tanks. I'm testing water once or twice a day and doing a lot of water changes in the shrimp/cory fry tank to try to get the GH and KH right for the shrimp.

On 2/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Do you have some!?!?

Yes. I breed both long and high fin panda cories. 

Here's some videos I just took that show both longfin and standard fin. 1 is also a high fin but I don't deliberately try for the high. 

• Thanks 2