Low pH in new planted tank

Shadow

On 2/22/2023 at 10:03 AM, Shadow said:

Yea I think my next planted tank I am going with a generic build up media like sand n pebbles mixed, something prob from Lowe's that is ok for aquariums. Then I will use a substrate like Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted, heard its better...has many beneficial things in it for tank startup and doesn't whack the pH as bad. Not sure if that is all true, but from what I have read it's not as bad as Fluval Stratum and others. I just will have to wash the absolute hades out of it before starting the tank. Next tank is a holding tank for the pregnant guppies, so that will just be filtration and some small media with shrimp at the bottom to help keep it clean. 

It doesn't really have anything in it but eco complete has high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) same with Aquasoils. Basically means that it can absorb nutrients in the water to feed the roots. I personally do not like eco complete because of it's size and texture. It's really rough and I keep cories so I'd rather not risk them damaging their whiskers(?)

The buffer that aquasoils provide for the tank is good for the fish and plants, unless you're keeping african rift lake cichlids.

• Like 1

Don't add salt to a planted tank. No baking soda as it has salt. You're making your ammonia more toxic by raising pH. Eco Complete has a low CEC value and is terrible to plant in. KH is not water hardness. It's carbonate hardness. 

If you want to raise KH, use potassium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate, both complement a planted tank versus killing plants with salt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 6:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Don't add salt to a planted tank. No baking soda as it has salt. You're making your ammonia more toxic by raising pH. Eco Complete has a low CEC value and is terrible to plant in. KH is not water hardness. It's carbonate hardness. 

If you want to raise KH, use potassium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate, both complement a planted tank versus killing plants with salt.

Yea I haven't done anything bar pH Up for one day and realized it didn't really do squat. I just added cc and let it help with raising the hardness. Also, @Sleepyby capping you mean topping it with something other than the active media? In this tank I put the Fluval Stratum in media bags under sand and small pebbles. Not sure if that counts lol.

So it looks like everyone is not really into the Eco Complete, do you all have some better suggestion for active soil?

Like said there was one I really liked avail in UK/EU only but alas cannot find an American dealer selling it. Even tried a few ebayers. 

On 2/22/2023 at 4:58 PM, Shadow said:

So it looks like everyone is not really into the Eco Complete, do you all have some better suggestion for active soil?

I've used ADA Amazonia, Tropica and Controsoil with great results. Controsoil doesn't release ammonia like ADA and Tropica. But there have been inconsistencies with Controsoil regarding this. 

Per my experience controsoil hasn't released ammonia.

Edited by knee
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, Shadow said:

. Also, @Sleepyby capping you mean topping it with something other than the active media? In this tank I put the Fluval Stratum in media bags under sand and small pebbles. Not sure if that counts lol.

Ahhhhh ok I might have missed that part 🙂 but whats weird is I did it the same way in media bags capped with gravel and really didnt do anything to my PH 

Today's Water parameters after starting 50% estimated water change and addition of cc 2 days ago plus livestock additions coming in(3x guppies/10x shrimp)...

pH: 7.0(test strip says closer to 7.0)

Nitrite: 0.50(very minimal confirmed with test strip)

Nitrate: 5.00(confirmed with test strip)

Ammonia: 0.50

GH: near 300(test strip)

KH: minimal

Chlorine: 0.00(test strip)

TDS: 374

Temp: 76.4

Will continue with daily 50% water changes as suggested by @Tommy Vercetti while keeping Ammonia Detoxifier in filter media until ammonia is not present. Fish and other livestock seem super happy/active. I am not overfeeding atm, even though I know they were fasted before shipping most likely. Trying to keep everything as minimal as possible until its no longer an issue. Thanks everyone for the help! 

• Like 1

@Shadow eco complete will not alter your water parameters at all. I prefer it over stratum any day. I used to use eco complete, but bottom dwellers don’t seem to enjoy it. They’ll deal with it but not as much digging and nestling. So now I go with Activ-Flora. It’s a couple of dollars more than eco complete, but it’s better in every way. Check it out for your next build, I think you’ll dig it. Good luck and sometimes valuable lessons are best learnt sooner than later. 

• Love 1

Ty so much for the advise! I am about to start a bonsai feature black bottom 10 gallon. I will try it as my substrate below the cap. The tank is almost cycled it looks like, so as you said a lesson learned, at least it wasn't the hard way. 🙂 

So for those watching, my parameters this morning...

pH: 7.2

Nitrite: 0.25

Nitrate: 5.0

Ammonia: 0.25

GH: 300ish

KH: Minimal

Chlorine: 0.00

TDS: 266

Temp: 76.4

Thanks again everyone for the tips!! 🙂

• Like 2

So today's readings are a bit weird...I read this is often due to water changes killing nitrite eating bacteria or that bacteria just colonizing the tank, still being a low count. Anyways, my Ammonia is ZERO finally. @Tommy Vercetti the idea of increasing to daily 50% until it went to zero worked. Now, however, my Nitrites have started to spike at the end of each day post water changes. Right now mine is in the 2.0-5.0 range according to the API test kit(its says its well away from expiration FYI, 2027) and the Co Op Test Strips show closer to the same thing. From some of the literature online I read, it says DO NOT rush to do a partial water change again. This will possibly kill the remaining early colonization of bacteria. Says things should clear themselves and level out by next water change. 

My question to you all is this...is this true and also should I back off my water changes? I am not feeding the fish but very small amounts 3x a day and allowing the shrimp to finish off whatever bottom wafers, other waste there is. I will include today's numbers below...

pH: 6.8(dropped again a bit, happened post water change today)

Nitrite: 2.0-5.0 range

Ammonia: 0.00

TDS: 347

Temp: 74.8

Ordered Equilibrium today from Co Op, so hoping that will help a bit along with the Wonder Shells with GH/KH. Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 🙂 

P.S. Fish are still super active and seem happy, healthy. I know with Nitrite spikes this can change quickly, hence my concern. 

On 2/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, Shadow said:

So today's readings are a bit weird...I read this is often due to water changes killing nitrite eating bacteria or that bacteria just colonizing the tank, still being a low count. Anyways, my Ammonia is ZERO finally. @Tommy Vercetti the idea of increasing to daily 50% until it went to zero worked. Now, however, my Nitrites have started to spike at the end of each day post water changes. Right now mine is in the 2.0-5.0 range according to the API test kit(its says its well away from expiration FYI, 2027) and the Co Op Test Strips show closer to the same thing. From some of the literature online I read, it says DO NOT rush to do a partial water change again. This will possibly kill the remaining early colonization of bacteria. Says things should clear themselves and level out by next water change. 

My question to you all is this...is this true and also should I back off my water changes? I am not feeding the fish but very small amounts 3x a day and allowing the shrimp to finish off whatever bottom wafers, other waste there is. I will include today's numbers below...

Your nitrite spike is expected. Continue with the water changes daily. And my guess is in 3 or 4 days you will have 0 Nitrites.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 1

Well....this week has been a blur of wake up, water change, work. Numbers this morning 1 hour post water change...

pH: 6.8(been holding around that for the week)

Nitrite: 0.5(later in the day water test showing spikes to 1.0-2.0 range)

Nitrate: 5.0(holding there for a week now)

TDS: 258

Temp: 75.9

Have had a very slight cloudiness to the water this week as I believe there has been a bacteria bloom, I read this often happens as it cycles. Algae has started to grow on rocks. Cleaned the glass, but on there a bit as well. Plants seem to be thriving, they are growing new and bigger sprouts through the tops. 

Question for @Tommy Vercetti or any of you all? Have you all used Seachem products before? One, Alkaline Buffer...is it a must to use it in tandem with Acid Buffer if you are targeting a pH or can it raise it on its own without? Also, I got De*Nitrate biomedia for filter...has anyone had any success with it or Pristine for helping with algae? 

Once again, thanks everyone for the help! 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:29 AM, Shadow said:

Well....this week has been a blur of wake up, water change, work. Numbers this morning 1 hour post water change...

pH: 6.8(been holding around that for the week)

Nitrite: 0.5(later in the day water test showing spikes to 1.0-2.0 range)

Nitrate: 5.0(holding there for a week now)

TDS: 258

Temp: 75.9

Have had a very slight cloudiness to the water this week as I believe there has been a bacteria bloom, I read this often happens as it cycles. Algae has started to grow on rocks. Cleaned the glass, but on there a bit as well. Plants seem to be thriving, they are growing new and bigger sprouts through the tops. 

Question for @Tommy Vercetti or any of you all? Have you all used Seachem products before? One, Alkaline Buffer...is it a must to use it in tandem with Acid Buffer if you are targeting a pH or can it raise it on its own without? Also, I got De*Nitrate biomedia for filter...has anyone had any success with it or Pristine for helping with algae? 

Once again, thanks everyone for the help! 

Sorry, I have not used seachem alkaline Buffer. But I think you are doing fine without it. Your PH is fine where you are at. Really all you are looking for is a stable ph in a safe range. In my opinion you'll are already there. So good job. Sorry your nitrites are still there but I promise you that they will go away soon. I think that the bacteria that eat nitrites can double in population in about 24 hours.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

On 3/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

Sorry, I have not used seachem alkaline Buffer. But I think you are doing fine without it. Your PH is fine where you are at. Really all you are looking for is a stable ph in a safe range. In my opinion you'll are already there. So good job. Sorry your nitrites are still there but I promise you that they will go away soon. I think that the bacteria that eat nitrites can double in population in about 24 hours.

Yea wasn't really thinking for this tank so to speak but if I wanted to buffer the water more. Gotta see what the new water will be like at my new house. Going to do some things there next weekend, so will test the water base then. Hoping the nitrite and cloudiness issue will go away soon as bar that the parameters, fish are doing well. 

Hey everyone! Crazy busy with impending move to my new home in under a month, but update on parameters after water change today.

pH: 6.6(was a little lower yesterday, so added so fresh crushed coral in a bag in back of tank...up to 6.6 today)

Nitrite: 0.5(holding all day at that, first time its done that...usually creeps up to 1.0-3.0 by afternoon but seems to be tapering off and holding)

Nitrate: 5.0(pretty average between 5.0-15.0 some days)

KH: Still minimal but at least I have some slight color to the test strip lol

TDS: 242

Temp: 76.2

I did a sponge cleaning like Cory taught how to in the tank water I removed from the water change. After that the tank's cloudiness went away and everything held well parameter wise. I think things are near cycling...right about a month before I have to move everything...lol. Thanks to everyone that helped, especially @Tommy Vercetti!

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I did a 20 percent water change, today we have some fry(that I can find) and NO NITRITES this morning @Tommy Vercetti. It took roughly 3 weeks to cycle with the amount of livestock I have in there. My take away from all this, patience is key. Not my best quality, but maybe this hobby will allow me to do this better the next time. Good thing is I now have 3 cycled sponges for set up when I move in a few weeks. Appreciate all the help! 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

Yea @Tommy Vercetti I have had the heater on 80 but due to my bedroom's orientation to the north wind's coming off the bay here, it tends to stay cooler in the winter(warmer in the summer). So I have been hovering around 74-76 range...btw one last parameter listing for everyone and then I will move to my blog post for updates... 

pH: 7.0

Nitrite: 0.0

GH: 385

KH: 40

TDS: 317

Temp: 74.4(cold front came in high winds, chilled the room a bit)

Once again, thanks to everyone that helped me! Much obliged! 

• Like 1