Low pH in new planted tank

Shadow

Hey, 

So this is my first planted tank. I have several plants in there, along with dragon stone, sand and Fluval plant substrate in small media bags under the sand. As its a new tank, I am attempting to use the magic water known as AP Quick Start but also have stocked the tank, a 10 gallon rimless, with just 3 guppies and a few shrimp/snails to start. The guppies seemed fine but have now huddled in one corner of the tank nearest the filter. I am running both a Fluval 20 AccuClear along with a sponge filter to keep the tank clean in the weeks it will take to properly cycle. Tank looks clear but my pH is incredibly low, 6.2-6.6. My water from faucet is 7.4, so if I am doing a 20% water change it should raise it some and it never does. I am waiting for some crushed coral from Co-Op's site as none of my local pet stores have any. Is there any way besides API's pH Up that works? The API products for the most part seem ok, but not the best. Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

Edited by Shadow
misspelling

What are using to test the pH? Are you testing any other parameters? 

With that said, the main issue is prob not pH as the tank may be cycling as you mention. I would hesitate to try to chemically adjust the pH at this point (or at any point for that matter). A small water change would be ok but you may probably just need to let the cycle run its course.

Only bad things happen in a hurry in this hobby. Go slow, wait on the crushed coral and  keep and eye on the fish. 

• Like 1

I get it, those API kits are hit or miss. They do have expiration dates too. Also a quick spike is enough to wipe out some susceptible fish or cause some damage enough to slowly dwindle a few more. It will quickly get turned over or used up by the plants but the damage may have been done. 

All is not lost, hopefully your losses taper off. The crushed coral is prob better in your aquaclear as media in a bag since you can add it, remove it or replenish without it affecting your substrate, 

Thanks @ScottieB once again! Yea, no losses(yet), my shrimp seem fine and diddling away on the plants and rocks. Also both the female guppies look pregnant(no surprises). They are all back swimming about. I am noticing they seem much more active at nighttime. I am also feeding them freeze dried blood worms as I can control the feeding better leading to less wasted food in the tank. Flake and pellets leave a lot that eventually get consumed by the shrimp but in the time being its just added waste in an uncycled tank. One question, I have been doing 10-20% water changes daily to help keep the ammonia down until it cycles, should I be doing that or allowing it to cycle before water changes?

On 2/19/2023 at 5:14 PM, Shadow said:

Hey, 

So this is my first planted tank. I have several plants in there, along with dragon stone, sand and Fluval plant substrate in small media bags under the sand. As its a new tank, I am attempting to use the magic water known as AP Quick Start but also have stocked the tank, a 10 gallon rimless, with just 3 guppies and a few shrimp/snails to start. The guppies seemed fine but have now huddled in one corner of the tank nearest the filter. I am running both a Fluval 20 AccuClear along with a sponge filter to keep the tank clean in the weeks it will take to properly cycle. Tank looks clear but my pH is incredibly low, 6.2-6.6. My water from faucet is 7.4, so if I am doing a 20% water change it should raise it some and it never does. I am waiting for some crushed coral from Co-Op's site as none of my local pet stores have any. Is there any way besides API's pH Up that works? The API products for the most part seem ok, but not the best. Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

I would add some equilibrium if you can get a hold of it until the cc arrives. If not, a small amount of marine salt is basically the same.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:41 PM, Scapexghost said:

I would add some equilibrium if you can get a hold of it until the cc arrives. If not, a small amount of marine salt is basically the same.

I looked for it and could not get any. Not many marine or aquatic stores besides a PetSmart nearby and they have nothing. Should have cc Tuesday, so just trying to maintain until it gets here. 

On 2/19/2023 at 6:52 PM, Shadow said:

I looked for it and could not get any. Not many marine or aquatic stores besides a PetSmart nearby and they have nothing. Should have cc Tuesday, so just trying to maintain until it gets here. 

Theyll be fine for 2 days probably. If thry are gasping at the top or breathing heavily. You could consider baking soda, but only with extreme caution. A little goes a long way.

On 2/19/2023 at 7:17 PM, Scapexghost said:

Theyll be fine for 2 days probably. If thry are gasping at the top or breathing heavily. You could consider baking soda, but only with extreme caution. A little goes a long way.

They seem to be doing alright given the pH level, male is flaring about the tank and the girls are exploring... so will prob just wait the two days and order some of that Equilibrium to have on hand for the future. I knew the substrate I was using would drop it but, not as much as it has. Will learn for the next time lol. 

@Tommy Vercetti yea its that. But as it says neutral to slightly acidic. Shouldn't bring the pH down from 7.4(my tap water) to 6.2(the lowest its been) according to what I have read. I will take this into consideration next time I plant a tank and make sure to not overdue it. 

That power of the stratum to lower the ph will diminish in a few months. 

If you really want to raise your PH you can use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). There is a formula to how much to add. But I never ise it. In my opinion, stable PH is much better than chasing any given number. 

Yes, new stratum can easily bring your ph to 6.6 to 6.2. I would not be too concerned because I have used it for two tanks for over 1 year and have had no losses in either set up.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 5:30 PM, Shadow said:

According the the test strips I have its closer to 10-20 range @knee

That's just 1dKH and susceptible to ph swings. I'd try to raise it to at least 3dKH, but as with what @Tommy Vercetti mentioned, the stratum will lose it's buffering capacity soon.

That will probably raise your KH and pH.

UPDATE:

Added crushed coral to filter media and a bit into bottom of tank(not a lot), plus a new wonder shell. pH has rebounded nearer to 7.0 since yesterday. Ammonia is still slightly spiking, 1.0-1.5, and I am getting a very small nitrite reading still, .25, so keeping up with daily 10-20% water changes just to be safe. Fish are doing great and both my guppies are surprise, surprise pregnant thanks to the loan, endlessly harassing male. LOL! Anymore tips are appreciated...but things looking much better while waiting to cycle. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/22/2023 at 9:55 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

I personally would do 50% daily water changes until I could no longer detect ammonia and/or nitrites. This has worked for me with out losses on my new setups of the past year  (8 aquariums total. It's  not a lot of experience but it has worked every time).

Will increase it, thought it might shock em too much hence the lower changes to start. 

Water parameters after 30% estimated water change and addition of cc yesterday...

pH: 7.2(test strip says closer to 6.8)

Nitrite: 0.25(very minimal confirmed with test strip from Aquarium Co Op...off white basically)

Nitrate: 0.00(confirmed with test strip)

Ammonia: 0.50

GH: near 300(test strip)

KH: minimal(any idea how to increase this more or will it take time with cc and reduction in Fluval Stratum?)

Chlorine: 0.00

As @Tommy Vercetti has suggested, I will move to 50% water changes starting post work tomorrow(back to work for mini staycay). Already did one this morning before I read suggestion, otherwise would have today. Thanks again for all the help! 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, Shadow said:

KH: minimal(any idea how to increase this more or will it take time with cc and reduction in Fluval Stratum?)

Stratum will keep reducing KH and keep pH low. I wouldn’t try to mess with it right now. As long as it’s stable you’ll be fine. I’d focus more on keeping ammonia below 0.5

• Like 3

The stratum will buffer the water for awhile but not sure how long as I've never used it myself. It's best to let the substrate do it's thing and just observe water parameters for any sudden drops or changes.

I do know ADA amazonia will buffer for a long time from my experience. It kept my pH low for a year or probably more, but I also had 4" of substrate in the front and probably 6" at the back so there was A LOT of amazonia 😆

On 2/22/2023 at 11:39 AM, knee said:

The stratum will buffer the water for awhile but not sure how long as I've never used it myself. It's best to let the substrate do it's thing and just observe water parameters for any sudden drops or changes.

I do know ADA amazonia will buffer for a long time from my experience. It kept my pH low for a year or probably more, but I also had 4" of substrate in the front and probably 6" at the back so there was A LOT of amazonia 😆

Yea I think my next planted tank I am going with a generic build up media like sand n pebbles mixed, something prob from Lowe's that is ok for aquariums. Then I will use a substrate like Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted, heard its better...has many beneficial things in it for tank startup and doesn't whack the pH as bad. Not sure if that is all true, but from what I have read it's not as bad as Fluval Stratum and others. I just will have to wash the absolute hades out of it before starting the tank. Next tank is a holding tank for the pregnant guppies, so that will just be filtration and some small media with shrimp at the bottom to help keep it clean. 

I really wish I could find this UK/EU substrate stateside: Colombo FloraBase Pro Mano Base Black