Harlequin Rasbora Injury + Melafix with Gouramis?

macdaddy36

During my water change today, one of my Rasbora's got sucked up the siphon tube for a few seconds. I disconnected the siphon and he went back in the tank, but he lost the top part of his caudal fin. He is still swimming around the tank and remains active, but he is lopsided when swimming.

Is there any hope for him?

What medication would be ideal to help prevent infection?

Should I separate him into a breeder box?

Edited by macdaddy36

Status Update.

I have isolated him for a few days and I though he had started to recover, but I was gone for a night, and now it seems like he has developed some kind of infection. There is a white lump at the part of his broken tail, but it is just one spot and is larger than ick. I think he needs medication, but I'm not sure what is the best. I don't have a quarantine tank so it needs to be safe for plants and snails.

After doing a little bit of research, I came upon a thread on a different forum that talks about how Melafix could potentially be bad for Gouramis. I have two honey gouramis and wonder if this could be an issue. The honey gouramis have no injury but they are in the same tank as the affected fish.

Edited by macdaddy36

Melafix is oil based herbal treatment  its not good for the labyrinth organ of gourami's it only works as a mild antiseptic treatment at best if you have it to hand I would start treating with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons till maracyn  arrives @macdaddy36

Edited by Colu