What coloration-type of Angelfish?

Alec2cool

A few weeks ago, I got this little guy from petsmart. He was sold as an "Assorted" Angelfish but I'd like to figure out what his coloration is actually called. I've done some research but the one that looks most similar to him is the Silver Angelfish. However, Silver Angelfish only have 3 stripes while this boy here is 5 stripes.

What do you guys think, is he a silver?

(Edit: Looking at the picture now, it sure seems he has more than 5)

20201104_215826.jpg

20201104_215659.jpg

Edited by Alec2cool

23 minutes ago, ange said:

That is a zebra angelfish. It may carry some recessive mutations.

This is my Blue Zebra Angelfish that I acquired a few months ago. If the angelfish shown above is a "Zebra", is it a Red Eyed Zebra or something like that? Or just called a Zebra?

20201104_175053.jpg

The photo you posted is not a blue zebra. It appears to have one copy of the Zebra allele and one copy of the Stripeless allele, but is hard to determine without a test cross.

For comparison, Silver:

Angelfish Genetics - Types of angelfish

Zebra (this photo is a black lace that has the phenotype D/+ in addition to either Z/Z or Z/+):

Angelfish Genetics Calculator

Blue zebra:

Blue Zebra Angelfish, Featured item. #blue #zebra #angel #fish #petfish  #aquarium #aquariums #freshwater #fre… | Angel fish, Aquarium fish,  Tropical freshwater fish

Philippine blue:

Premium Rare Blue Cobalt Zebra Angelfish

• Like 3

@angeis correct @Alec2cool your photo is not of a zebra, but I’ve found with pb angelfish a lot of times they sell them as zebras to put some zing in the name also you’ll see PB angels sold under the trade name cobalt blue angelfish, and as far as I’m aware there is no difference. Now I have a pair of PB angelfish and they regularly throw zebra, albino and fry. So that’s not to say yours if bred wouldn’t throw zebra offspring. 

Due to the unreliability of the source, it's likely you have a 'mutt' with traits of several strains. The only way to say you have 'this' type of angel is to get it from a reliable breeder who keep their strains pure, or tells you what is and what is not.

When I say unreliable, I mean the purity of the strain. That's why they sell it as assorted. This has nothing to do with the health of the fish.

Regardless, the pics of what you do have look very nice.

Enjoy them! 

BTW, I plan on getting an angel as the centerpiece fish of the 37g I'm setting up.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 11:10 AM, Alec2cool said:

Thanks guys! However, I'm still quite confused. Are you saying what I thought was a Blue Zebra above is actually a Philippine Blue?

The second angelfish that you posted is a Philippine blue with one stripeless allele (the gene is incompletely dominant). The angel below has the S/+ phenotype as well.

The Angelfish Society - Phenotype Library - Black Ghost

• Like 1

I appreciate it. I'm going to get in contact with Aquatic Arts about the 2nd angelfish I posted, as that's where I purchased it from. I'm happy with my purchase but I want to make sure Aquatic Arts has their stuff right because somebody else may not be so happy.

Honestly most angelfish names beyond common phenotypes are just for clout or angelfish nerms. I have a "double black pinoy clown" but to 99% of people I just call him a pinoy. Pinoy is on the left, angel on the right is most likely a pinoy as well but is so dark it's hard to tell if she is pb or not.

20201107_152258.jpg

• Like 1