Green water tips?

Mattyd123

Hey everyone! 

I was wondering if anyone had a good guide for an easy way to culture green water as a small fry food, 

I have managed to succeed with infusoria in my test bottles but the smell is shocking And honestly I can’t be doing with that in the house 😂 

Green water seems like a much more reliable and less smelly alternative and I know Corey is a fan but besides lots of light I don’t really know how you’d go about culturing and maintaining it. 

Any advice or directions would be great. 

I accidentally made green water once by kicking up a bunch of nutrients from the substrate into the water column (root tabs, fish waste, etc). Took a bit - at first I thought it was a bacterial bloom, then it just got greener and greener. I was using a pretty bright light with lots of blue in it, no floating plants. 

• Thanks 1

Agree with @lefty o about the sun. I would start outdoors with some natural light exposure. 

My stock tank pond has some overhead cover but its mostly in direct sun all day - it greened up near instantly and stays that way year round. Its loaded with food, and usually reads no nitrites or nitrates.  I was disappointed at first because I wanted to see the fish, but its turned into a fry machine and now I wouldn't change a thing about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...