Help with switching over filters and pumps

Lilred

I am changing up my 20 gallon tank. I want to make it a planted tank, so I just changed the substrate. I have a few guppies in it at the moment. I have a HOB filter and I want to switch to a sponge filter. I currently have both filters running in the tank. I am afraid to just disconnect the HOB because it has all the biological good stuff in it. I figured if I keep the sponge filter in the tank it will get seeded from the other filter. How long do you I need to keep both filters in the tank? 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:03 PM, Lilred said:

I   don't want my tank to crash so thought I would leave both in for a while. 

Leave them both in for at least 2-3 weeks, and when you take the HOB out make sure you are closely watching the parameters. Test your water with API master kit, not strips.

I recently had a crisis where I crashed the cycle in my axolotl tank, and added the sponge from a seeded sponge filter to her filter, and it took about 5 days for it to clear everything up and get it back to normal. If you have a way to stick just the sponge into your HOB that might speed it along.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 5:11 PM, mynameisnobody said:

1- leave the HOB for about 2 weeks, then you can safely remove it.

2- disconnect the HOB, take a sponge out of it and squeeze it into the aquarium. This is messier, but much quicker. By the next day, it should settle down and clear up for you.

In addition to this, I just leave the ceramic media at the top of the sponge filter.

• Like 2

At least a few weeks. But really it depends on the tank. How mature is the tank? How much substrate, how many plants/decor? What the bioload/stocking of the tank? Basically anything with surface area in the tank will have bb on it, and substrate is a big part of that. Basically everything going on in the tank will affect the nitrogen cycle.  Ive had mature well planted tanks switch filters in a couple days and be just fine, but that’s a tank that if it had a little less bio load could easily go filter less. 

• Like 1

I'd wait awhile considering you just took out the substrate as well.  What's your reasoning behind going to a sponge filter to save space?  I find the sponge filters take up a lot more space than a HOB.  I guess you could be talking about outside the tank.  

2-3 weeks, I'd say... it's not a race! 🙂

On 2/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, jwcarlson said:

I'd wait awhile considering you just took out the substrate as well.  What's your reasoning behind going to a sponge filter to save space?  I find the sponge filters take up a lot more space than a HOB.  I guess you could be talking about outside the tank.  

2-3 weeks, I'd say... it's not a race! 🙂

I am going to keep a planted, guppy tank and a sponge filter works great for a guppy tank.