Aquarium Plants in Jars

Please explain it to me how to do everything.... I have a jar, I have plants, and I'm pretty sure I'm messing that up somehow!

A. Do I need an airsone?

B. How often should I realistically fert?

C. Should I use a vase as opposed to a jar to avoid the weird lip and blocking lights?

D. Recommended minimum size?

E. How often to change water and how much?

Depends what plants you're putting in. In my experience an airstone is not needed. I'd recommend minimum 2 gallons. Choose a shape that gives you the most room to actually reach in and manipulate things. Depending on your substrate and choice of plants, ferts and water changes can be minimal. My best luck has been anubius and moss, but I've got small amounts of dwarf sag, hydrocotyle tripartita, and ludwigia going currently with no co2 or major ferts. (If you count a bowl as a jar)

Edited by Solstice_Lacer
Details
  • Like 1

Plant need oxygen 24*7 and carbon dioxide when photosynthesizing.   I think opening the jar often, or venting it would be a good idea. You can put window screen under a mason jar ring (or a rubber band) to keep insect larva out. That will give the plants more light than a solid lid. If there is a lot of evaporation due to dry air, take out some water before adding water to avoid old tank syndrome like build up of things that don't evaporate.

• Like 1

Unless the plants need lots of water movement, it should be pretty easy. If you're doing subwassertang and moss it should be dead easy. I have a few jars with plants myself. They are nice to have in spaces where you can't have a full on aquarium (like work). Don't be afraid of tall, oddly shaped or jar that you can't get you hand in. I actually add a bit of fert and occasionally throw in an airstone. 

20230113_140821.jpg

20230105_135557.jpg

Have you tried growing them emersed? I’ve tried that with some plants and they grew quicker. You can leave them by a window or wherever it gets a lot of sunlight but doesn’t get too hot. You just need aquasoil or potting soil. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, knee said:

Have you tried growing them emersed? I’ve tried that with some plants and they grew quicker. You can leave them by a window or wherever it gets a lot of sunlight but doesn’t get too hot. You just need aquasoil or potting soil. 

If I had space, I would. Right now I don't. The plan one day is to have a ricefish tub and an herb garden for cooking. It's a bit too cold and dark in the house so I need a dedicated space.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 3:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

20230217_112359.jpg.3c70b44f111ae24021824505f5333316.jpg

Change water? Scoop off the scum on the top?  Should I be covering the opening with something or is this fine?

Aquariums are so much easier than jars, but I really want to get this going.

That can happen with a lack of flow it's just a build up of bacteria, you can soak it up with a paper towel or stir it with your finger or something to break it up. You should be fine leaving a lid off to allow for gas exchange but you can always drill some holes in a lid if you'd rather have it covered. You can also throw some floaters in there but it's mostly lack of water movement. In my Walstad jar I run an airstone overnight to help keep it from building up without gassing off co2 during the day. (I know the co2 loss is minimal that's just how I'm preferring to do it currently). 

• Love 1