Can I over-filter? [newbie question -- sorry]

DeadStang

I have a HOB (Seachem 55), 2 sponges (a large and a medium from ACO), and a Ziss moving media filter on my 40 gallon breeder. Is this excessive? Everything "seems" to be fine but I honestly don't know... Is there some rule on how much one should have? I know people talk about just using sponges and they are fine, but I would like some guidance.

@DeadStang This depends on many factors. Truth is, there is probably nothing that can be adequately kept in that size aquarium that would need that much filtration. Also it’s kind of a waste of energy so you are probably racking up on your electric bill unnecessarily. Good news is, you have a bunch of extra filters for new aquariums. What lives in the 40? 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 7:40 PM, DeadStang said:

I have a HOB (Seachem 55), 2 sponges (a large and a medium from ACO), and a Ziss moving media filter on my 40 gallon breeder.

The entire thing depends on perspective among other things.

I use the ziss bubble bio for the sake of strong bacteria. Over time I viewed them as nothing more then a very complicated water polishing tool for fines.  Sponge filters, especially the ACO ones would be in a tank, again, in lieu of just an air stone. Are there fish and species that could use 3+ air drops in that size tank? Sure. Many river species want good oxygenation, cooler temps, and something like shrimp would enjoy that setup.  When it comes to the tidal you're talking a pure surface skimmer and not really something that pulls from the substrate as effectively as other HoBs. They do have good circulation from simply the pump itself. I do have the link in my signature on how to mod those and it works pretty well to fully maximize the circulation and polishing side of the filtration.

So.... The perspective question is centered around what is in the tank and what you want to do to care for them. The second aspect is how you view the filtration and it's purpose. Is it there to provide biological or mechanical? Is it there as a backup for a QT tank?

In my 75G I ran 2 seachem tidal 75s and 2-3 ziss bubble bio filters. I didn't run sponges because I preferred to keep the substrate clear for bottom dwelling fish.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:16 PM, DeadStang said:

I was even worried that I should add a second HOB to this tank, lol!

Check out my tidal thread. You definitely can.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, DeadStang said:

Currently I have 17 1-1.5" corys

They won't mind the added flow one bit.

I did see your post about the Seachem filters when I researching which to buy. I started with a regular Fluval HOB that sucked my snail into the inlet (before I found out about pre-filters) and the priming with my water changes when cycling and then treating ich (twice) was a pain. My water is nice and clear but I really have been "over filtering" for increased biofiltration surface area as I had a hard time getting my nitrite level under control  due to a steep learning curve (for me). It just seems like I can't go wrong with too many filters but I don't want to be ridiculous.

• Like 1

@DeadStang if it makes you feel better then you can do it. However there is only so much waste being produced and no matter how many filters you add, the beneficial bacteria will only grow to consume whatever waste is available. Another words, you are not building up a colony of bb to be able to handle an enormous load because the bb will only max out at where it needs to be to thrive, not maximize because of all the extra gizmo’s. Good luck and I would turn down all water movement or the occupants may feel like they’ve been living in a jacuzzi. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 8:53 PM, DeadStang said:

My water is nice and clear but I really have been "over filtering" for increased biofiltration surface area as I had a hard time getting my nitrite level under control  due to a steep learning curve (for me). It just seems like I can't go wrong with too many filters but I don't want to be ridiculous.

Let's not call it "over filtering" but hm.... adding less points of failure for the ecosystem. 

Nitrite issues is a pretty interesting one.  If you want to review setup for anything, always feel free to tag me or send a DM with photos of everything.  No worries at all and I get to use diagrams!

The ziss bubble bio I ran for a long time and sometimes I felt like all I ever did was trap muck and not bacteria on the media.  It might've been fine, but that's why I eventually added the fine sponge to keep the chamber clean and basically dumped in so much air that it had to ridiculously strong bacteria.  That alone should be enough to kill the ammonia / nitrites in most tanks.  Especially as a secondary filter with the tidal.  If you want to go through that one, just need a video to review the air flow.