How do you hide fry?

Theplatymaster

This question is simple.

Im doing my platy breeding project currently for colors, im up a stage of 3 females impregnated by the target male all in a 5gallon tank.

My issue is i that i plan to remove the females as they give birth in the order they were impregnated. They will be moved to a seperate tank, so if they are still pregnant, i will still get fry from them,

B. my issue is i dont have space to give each female a seperate tank. So i just have tons of moss on the bottom of my 5gallon tank as a hiding spots. my question is are there any other good ways to create hiding spots for the fry? Im not looking for the ACO article about plants, i dont want to buy anything new, but im kinda looking for simple DIY things that work well. Please post pictures.

The best happy accident I ever had which also turned into the 2nd best fry hide I ever made was I used matala mat I had lying around the house to wall off 3 sides of the tank for better viewing. The original goal was to let moss attach to it and have a 3 sided moss wall but that never panned out. What happened by complete accident was when fry were born, they swam through it and congregated together on the other side of the mat in a small space where it was randomly sitting off the glass. The parents could have never got 33CC3AB1-CC55-48F8-8FEB-BD658A583469.jpeg.64b07aa187e39efaa179ea526a551117.jpegto them. Shrimp got smart and did the same. Leads me to believe if your looking for non traditional, maybe something as simple as a very course mat or sponge, or craft mesh divider, or yarn anything along those lines. Sorry for the long story it brought me back I couldn’t resist telling it. 

-photo was years ago, what it doesn’t show is fish in it, but there was a slight gap between the mat on the sides and the glass about 1/2 in and that’s where the fry all went 

• Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Leads me to believe if your looking for non traditional, maybe something as simple as a very course mat or sponge, or craft mesh divider, or yarn anything along those lines.

based on this advice i went searching through my filter media box for any large sponges, when i had a great idea. Bio-Rings. I bought a large bag of them in the past so i have some extra. They are practically tiny tunnels, that might also house bacteria. Here is a picture:

bioringforplatyfry.jpg.d77acdeaf5f9cb8da6f0234b7f2bc13c.jpg

i am hoping this design will help/work, without being a risk to the adults.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...