filtration question

Theplatymaster

After going back and forth with myself for months, ive found i definetly enjoy the safety of a sponge filter. I dislike fish getting suck into, and stuck with HOB filters, and ive heard Cory rant about canister filters. Ive been just running a sponge filter for a few days now. My only issue is i have a certain fish (my panda garra) that really liked the flow from my HOB. So my solution is using a Power Head. Being as i have the aquariumcoop sponge filter, it would probably be the best option to use the matching powerhead.

However the flow is WAY to high for my tank. So i had 2 ideas.

(Photo was taken from the ACO website on the powerhead page).

Both of my ideas use a Ball Valve to weaken flow.

Idea #1 is put a ball valve on the output itself controlling how much water can come out at a time.

Idea #2 is replace the intake tube with a Ball Valve controlling how much water goes in.

here is a picture (taken from ACO website as i said,  giving credit here) :Screenshot_2023-02-06_19-24-28.png.451a5f2d09a96dcc4d97b70f215c9c1e.png

Any opinions/suggestions? feedback would be appreciated.

@nabokovfan87does a lot of work with filters.

Edited by Theplatymaster
@ed someone

On 2/6/2023 at 4:27 PM, Theplatymaster said:

However the flow is WAY to high for my tank. So i had 2 ideas.

I had a similar issue.  I'd recommend a spraybar output and/or a lower GPH pump.  I have one that is about 1/3 the flow running on my 29G and it's "fine".  I do have one that is sightly more powerful, but it is too large to fit a spraybard the way I have it mounted.  In terms of the ACO (and others) pumpheads you're usually looking at 268 GPH which is crazy strong for some applications.

I would focus on the height of the tank, maybe even stack two sponges tall (That's what Dean does for his) and then add that spray bar across the length of the tank.  If you do run into issues with it being too powerful, find a smaller pump or one that you can adjust. 

I can't speak to using ball valves to change the flow, seems logical and like it should be fine.  Some pumps I don't think they would be happy with that and so you usually have a design where they limit the output not the input.  Not sure how the physics work, but my advice is to do that research in terms of making sure you aren't choking out the pump.  Maybe even email someone like aquatop or Sicce and ask their engineers where to place the control valve.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'd recommend a spraybar output

This is what I did in my 10 gallon too, from @nabokovfan87's recommendation. I have the spray bar across the width of the tank. 

On 2/6/2023 at 6:27 PM, Theplatymaster said:

Idea #1 is put a ball valve on the output itself controlling how much water can come out at a time.

This seems to me to be the safest option using a ball valve. I don't think you'd want to starve the pump on intake intentionally. I could be totally wrong though, just my thought. 

• Like 1

Spray bars are the way to go. I use them on all my tanks on the canister filter output. If you use PVC you can add fittings and pipe to customize the water flow any way you want. An example would be to have a horizontal discharge on one end to direct the water flow across the bottom of the tank from one end to the other. The options are endless.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:27 AM, Theplatymaster said:

After going back and forth with myself for months, ive found i definetly enjoy the safety of a sponge filter. I dislike fish getting suck into, and stuck with HOB filters, and ive heard Cory rant about canister filters. Ive been just running a sponge filter for a few days now.

I've personally had a chance to try HOB, internal, sump and sponge filters, and I personally like HOB the most especially considering I'm keeping small to medium size tanks now. I have  prefilter sponges, I prefer finer one to a corsed one, which helps to block literally everything that goes to the tube. When I switched to a corsed one, I've started seeing some problems tbh. Cannot imagine one without a prefilter in general:D

Yes it clogs much faster, especially if your tanks are overstocked, and it can be a hell to use if you have so many tanks, but I feel like coarse sponges on HOB intakes are not great if you have "pest snails", which I have. MTS babies can go through coarse prefilter sponge but not on finer ones from my experience. But at the same time, I've seen them finding a way to climb inside the HOB anyway too. Baby MTS are really really small and can find its way to the intake tube if the sponge is coarse.

In my experience, sponge filters cause some fish and snails to be scared. I observed this being a less of a case if you have a black bacground in the tanks. I've tried every flow rate, and even between one air pump to another usb air pump. I know that would sound unexpected, but I've literally seen my fish being terrified because the way it constantly causing varying reflections in water column from LED lights, like really small lighting effects, if you have a thick layer of duckweed or floating plants like I do. Backgrounds to cut the effect a lot tho. Also I've observed is my rabbit snails being much more comfy and active whenever I turned off the sponge filter. 

Edited by Lennie