I’m new to the hobby and the forum and I have some questions.

MeggersNCat

Hi everyone! My name’s Meg and I currently own a female GloFish betta. I’ve had her for about 4days. I have two questions about her, one is yesterday I noticed a white bulb/ball on her belly where I believe she would go to the bathroom from or maybe lay eggs, and I have no idea what it is or if it’s okay, this was not there the first two days I had her, any clue as to what this could be? I will attach the best picture I could get, she is quite active and doesn’t stay in one place long enough to get a decent pic. For my second question, she currently is in a planted 2.5 gal tank that I already had established from my last betta, I have decided to move her to a ten gal tank for three reasons. 1. I feel like the 2.5gal is too small, yes she can comfortably get around but I feel like she can’t really “swim” ya know like take a quick sprint if she wanted to. 2. Dosing for meds and water treatments is a nightmare on a tank that small as everything is dosed for a minimum of 10gal. 3. I love plants and I want more. My question is what would be the best way to transfer her to this new tank? I fear the 2.5gal is having issues and don’t feel comfortable taking media from that tank to establish the new tank unless there is something I can do to optimize the small tank before setting up the bigger tank. So any help would be appreciated 

• Administrators

If you are going to move this betta to the 10 gallon. There is no reason to be afraid of moving disease as the fish would bring it with if one was present.

if you have a filter, I typically just move that with the fish the same day and hold of feeding for a couple of days while plants and bacteria get going again while monitoring the parameters. I then go to feeding every other day for a week. Then go to every day if it handles that just fine.

On 11/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, MeggersNCat said:

I’m also quite frustrated because I think my heater just crapped out. I really don’t want to buy another heater for this tank because I need to buy a bigger heater for the new tank but I don’t get the new tank until Tuesday 

If you buy one that you can set the temp for and have it turn on and off as needed to maintain the temperature then you can always move it to the 10 gallon later. Assuming it fits in the 2.5 gallon and can be used safely there. I just got one on Amazon for $10 or so for my 10 gallon tank. 

• Like 1