Rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum)

Kelly S

Not a lot to say really; I just think this fish is awesome and I'm so glad I got him. I don't know why exactly. He's no Murphy of course, but I really like him. His temperament is not typical but I'm easing that tank toward more fish that "should" be good tank mates for a rainbow shark because I hope to always have one, even if this is the only one on the planet that can live peacefully with neon tetras and ghost shrimp. (I do have other tanks suitable for those guys if anything changes.) He pokes at the SAE sometimes but they're very similar in size and mostly simply stay out of each other's way.

Related - I was researching barbs yesterday for the future of this tank and discovered Giant Barbs (Catlocarpio siamensis) and I love them. But I don't have a large indoor lake so, like many of the fish I admire, I'll enjoy them in pictures, videos, and public exhibits. Heck, I still have to enjoy Oscars and pictus cats in other people's tanks, and I'm ok with that - good excuse to go to some of the nicer fish stores! I also really enjoy watching shrimp, kuhli loaches, and nano fish, so there's plenty I can keep at home even if the biggest is a rainbow shark. 🙂

On 1/27/2023 at 4:56 PM, Kelly S said:

I also really enjoy watching shrimp, kuhli loaches, and nano fish, so there's plenty I can keep at home even if the biggest is a rainbow shark. 🙂

Yep!!!

Welcome to the forums.  I have a Red-Tailed Black Shark that is from the same family.  She's a hoot, so much fun to watch and have in the tanks.  Rainbow Sharks (and other Cyprinidae, including barbs!) are just really fun fish to me.  I do enjoy interacting with them, feeding, and all the goofy little things they do.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:56 PM, Kelly S said:

He pokes at the SAE sometimes but they're very similar in size and mostly simply stay out of each other's way.

They will definitely learn to avoid the big black thing with the red-orange fins. 😂

SAE can be some of the laziest fish when they nap all day on top of all the hardscape.  My RTBS is usually almost always in her cave, but the SAEs would try to sleep and then she'd scoot them on their way when the current took them to close to here part of the tank.

They like cover, like to have places to swim through, just a fun fish that doesn't look (or act) like a lot of other fish!

Here's a fun video on the species:

How big is your rainbow?  I am interested in what are the smallest fish people feel comfortable keeping their rainbows with.  My son has one in his aquarium and it's  territorial but not aggressive, it just wants to protect its cave.  I have always wondered if you could use a rainbow to help keep small tetras in a tight school without the worry of any losses.