Has anyone experienced this with their Bolivian ram?

knee

Need help and some advice. One of my Bolivian rams suddenly started growing this thing on her cheek. At first I thought it was a bruise from a fight or got chased away and hit a rock but it doesn’t seem like it now. Was wondering if anyone has had this happen and knows what to do.

these photos were taken last week. I haven’t gotten new photos of her but it seems like the thing, whatever that maybe, got a bit smaller. I’ll try to post a new photo when I get home from work later. 

D6F6140F-BEAF-45D8-A88D-68C79F6558A2.jpeg

C2E60AEB-AA1F-47D4-8EB7-B72D60B037B2.jpeg

669B7ACF-F234-4566-AF01-B096163F4342.jpeg

052ADCA3-E363-469E-AABA-671DCB9F48B9.jpeg

On 1/28/2023 at 8:42 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m afraid I’m of no help in identifying the issue. What I would do is add aquarium salt. 1 Tbsp/5 gallons (ok for plants). You may want to remove snails just in case, but nerite snails are fine with salt because they come from brackish water.

I have a hospital tank running so I can separate her if that’ll be better. Should I still do 1tbsp/5g for the hospital tank?

On 1/28/2023 at 9:31 AM, Colu said:

I would start treating with aquarium salt as @Chick-In-Of-TheSeasuggested if your going to use a  quarantine tank I would up the level of  salt  to one table spoon for 3 gallons and add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties after 1 week give an updated  @knee

My quarantine tank is only 5g. Should I do two tablespoons of salt? I also have Indian almond leaves and some extract that I can use. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:09 PM, knee said:

My quarantine tank is only 5g. Should I do two tablespoons of salt? I also have Indian almond leaves and some extract that I can use. 

Yes do two  table spoons of salt add the almond leaves 

• Thanks 1

I would think it's a wound of some kind.  Salt is a good option to start with, but I would also have bacterial meds to follow things up with on hand if you need it. 

I would lean towards moving the fish, as in something that is a wound isn't contagious where you need to treat the fish.  Second to that, inspect your tank where the ram was for reasons for this issue.  Whether it is hardscape or something where the fish would accidentally eat something that isn't food and caused an issue.

My dose for salt is 1/2 cup per 10G.  For your situation you'd be doing 1/4 cup per 5g.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 2:40 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

What level salt does that equate to @nabokovfan87?

Slightly more than level 2. Slightly less than level 3. Just one scoop instead of doing 10+ for a tank.

I think from when I had looked it up initially:

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/24976-nermweek-re-written-directions-competition/?do=findComment&comment=228766

Level 1: A hair under 1/4 cup per 10G
Level 2: A hair under 1/3 cup per 10G
Level 3: 1/2 cup per 10G

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't separated her because she paired up with a male and laid eggs. They're guarding the fry and are about to be free swimming today. She's doing fine and eating well which is good for me because it tells me that whatever she has is probably superficial. I'll separate her when the fry get eaten (I wont be pulling fry and they're in a community) or when they basically don't care much for the fry. I feel like she will be more stressed if I move her now because they have babies.

• Like 1