Anyone ever try this Ludwigia in an aquarium!?

On 1/25/2023 at 2:03 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Just thought this was a super cool floater (sold more for ponds). It gets 6" according to the seller so not necessarily an aquarium plant but because my fellow hobbyists are intrepid people wondering if anyone ever tried? Say hello to Ludwigia Sedioides: 

image000000(142).jpg

image000000(143).jpg

I tried to keep these in my high tech planted tank but it grew too quick and blocked way too much light. Turned my baby tear carpet yellow after just a few weeks. I would probably use this plant again for a blackwater setup or for a low tech tank. 

Very pretty plant but grows way too fast

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:03 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

wondering if anyone ever tried? Say hello to Ludwigia Sedioides:

Well I did... some years ago. I fell in love with its beautiful rosettes in a pond and decided to see how it would do in an aquarium. It did ok, but I got rid of it after couple of months or so. Because

- the underwater part (long fuzzy stem root with many side roots) didn't look very nice to me

- the root grew very fast, became looped, and moved the rosette all around the tank

- the outer leaves were always yellow and falling off (due to lack of nutrients, I guess)

- other plants were not happy with the nutrient and light hog in the tank.

I would absolutely plant it in a pond though, if I had a pond. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Do you think it could grow outside in a "Roamwild Pop Up Pond" 23 gallons, 27 inches across, 10 inches high? ( I love the clear sides)

I am tempted to get one for out on the lawn. under a tree and a tented netting to keep the leaves out. I love this plant. I think my HOBs would cause it problems in a tank.   

• Like 1