Disinfecting siphon between tanks

Jk_Schnoo

Hi Everyone-

I am interested in how people are disinfecting their siphon when changing water in multiple tanks at once. I have a dozen tanks right now, including an indoor pond, and rely on constant use of my Python siphon.

Right now my method is to in between tanks spray the siphon with vinegar, then rinse for about a minute in scalding hot water, spray with net soak, and rinse again with hot water.

I’m wondering if anyone has a better or more efficient method. Going back and forth to the sink in between each tank gets tiresome. I generally try to do my quarantine tanks on different days than my display tanks, but am hoping someone has a better method they might share.

thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:45 PM, Jk_Schnoo said:

without having to go back and forth to the sink and rinse the siphon when changing water on 5 tanks at a time.

With hydrogen peroxide you really do not need to rinse. The tiny amount on the siphon will not harm anything and break down to water. I’ve done the peroxide without rinsing many times. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 12:54 PM, Jk_Schnoo said:

Ah that makes sense. Do you just spray the siphon down or submerge it in a bucket? How long do you leave it on for?

I spray it down. As soon as I’m done siphoning. By the time I fill the water back up and move to the next tank it’s good to go. I use 10-15 minutes as a guide post. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 9:37 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How much peroxide per gallon do you use

Use 6ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a 3 gallon bucket so 0.5ml per litre 

Edited by Colu
Typo put gallon instead of liter and stupid autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

.5 ml is only a few drops from a pipette. I thought it would require more than that.

typo ment 0.5ml per liter that's  2ml per gallon 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...