What was the best advice you were given as a beginner? If you could give one piece of advice what would it be?

Schuyler

I was trying to do an Amazon Basin tank and was having a difficult time getting the PH just right.  One of the owners at the fish store told me not worry about it, the fish I was using (Angels, Cardinal Tetras, etc.) were not wild caught and had been bred in local tap water for many generations.  He was right, when I stopped trying to "fix" the water with various additives, my fish thrived, and the Angels even bred. I had a pleco in that tank that lived to be about 20 years old.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 6:51 PM, Schuyler said:

I'm sure most of us could gladly write pages for a newbie but if you could only give one or two lines of basic advice what would it be?

For me the best advice I got was from the big box store worker: "The first month or so will be tough but hold on, keep learning, and after a couple months things level out and it will get a lot easier."

The other piece of advice I would give is "Do your research before jumping into stuff but also know that something will go wrong. Be patient and learn from those mistakes."

I didn't get much advice as a beginner, and only started educating myself through @Corys YouTube videos about 3 months down the road. Fast forward a couple of years, and this forum is my favourite reference!

Advice for a newbie: Perseverance and Imagination. 

• Like 1

Don't be too discouraged if fish die. Most of the time it wasn't your fault (as long as you acclimated, quarantined, cycled, etc). Every aquarist has experienced losses and you're better of finding already healthy stock than trying to medicate fish from petsmart. 

Also, aquatic plants shockingly need the exact same things as terrestrial plants. It took me a long time to learn that. Light, soil, nutrients/ferts, and water with some easy plants will almost guarantee success. 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, Ray B said:

I agree. I planted it in my 40g and thought it was really nice for about two weeks. I finally removed it completely! 

I literal had the exact same experience. Got it for a 40g, looked cool for a few weeks, exploded to take up 1/3 of the tank, and I pulled it out and gave it away.

I'm sure it has its place... Just not in my tank

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 7:37 PM, SandBkeeper said:

Don't be too discouraged if fish die. Most of the time it wasn't your fault (as long as you acclimated, quarantined, cycled, etc). Every aquarist has experienced losses and you're better of finding already healthy stock than trying to medicate fish from petsmart. 

Also, aquatic plants shockingly need the exact same things as terrestrial plants. It took me a long time to learn that. Light, soil, nutrients/ferts, and water with some easy plants will almost guarantee success. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep it in my mind. I was also looking for the best advice online and I am glad I found all the information I need over here. When I was searching for it online, I also found https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/motivation/ website where I can read essay examples for free and the good thing is I can read them for free.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep it in my mind.

Edited by SabrinaKeister

I didn't really have any advice, and it had been so long since I kept a tank I really didn't know much.

Top advice:

1. Cycle your tank, understand how that cycle works, and make sure you have a API test kit before any fish goes in.

2. Always keep a backup heater on hand.

3. Run 1 or more smaller sponge filters in your established tanks for emergencies, or to help speed cycles along when you get new tanks.

4. Keep a decent supply of medicines and aquarium salt on hand for emergencies, along with an additional air pump, air stone, and tub for QT.

5. Add fish SLOWLY, and don't add a lot at once. 

6. Buckets. Lots and lots of buckets. Big ones, small ones, all the buckets.