Anyone ever use a salad spinner to clean filter media?

KittenFishMom

I know this is a long shot, but the cold weather make my hands grumpy, so I figured I would ask....

After in being a computer wrangler for too many decades, my hands aren't what they once were. I am trying to think of a cheap easy way to clean filter sponges and such without hurting my hands or the filter media. I thought a salad spinner might do a good job. I want to leave some bio filtration in the media, but get the mulm and curd out. I was thinking dunking them in a bucket of tank water, then spinning the water out and repeating a few times might do the trick. Before I mess up a salad spinner, I thought I would ask if anyone has tried this or found a better way to clean the media.

I have wrist issues so totally get what you are saying. I put mine in a bucket of used tank water and use an old school potato masher and smash the sponge up and down. If it super gunky I repeat the process then just shake out the extra water. It gets the job done. Some floating debris appears when i reintroduce them to the tank but it clears up in 5 minutes and is not enough I concern myself over. 

B45D5E7B-B731-4C66-9499-7496B2191D15.png

• Love 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have wrist issues so totally get what you are saying. I put mine in a bucket of used tank water and use an old school potato masher and smash the sponge up and down. If it super gunky I repeat the process then just shake out the extra water. It gets the job done. Some floating debris appears when i reintroduce them to the tank but it clears up in 5 minutes and is not enough I concern myself over. 

B45D5E7B-B731-4C66-9499-7496B2191D15.png

This also helps when you really have that craving for mashed taters while doing aquarium maintenance. 😆

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

I found an old salad spinner and gave it a whirl. It wasn't as effective as I had hoped it would be, but I will keep it on hand in case I sprain a wrist of something. I am now keeping my eye out for some small version of a wringer washers wringer. Maybe something that rolls dough out dough out in strips. Maybe something for pasta or puff pastry? Maybe some toy for playdough?  Maybe a rolling pin on a drain board? Never know what one will find in a thrift store or a yard sale.

@Cory I like it!  I wonder where I could put one in this little lake cottage? We had to remove an unused chimney to get a place for the RO system. Had to take a door and frame out in January, to get an apartment sized stacked set into the furnace room.   

I know, we could keep used ones seal in a bag in the fridge and take theme home to was in a second washer there 8-)