Aquarium Backgrounds

Xr4tiCrew

In my experience, painting the back of the aquarium black eliminates ever having to worry about it again. Every color under the sun has been tried and without fail, black is superior for many reasons. It hides a ton of gunk, while bringing out the colors of your fish. If the inhabitants are on the shy side, I have even painted the sides black and they loved it. I try to focus my efforts on parts of the hobby that haven’t been so solidified so it’s one less thing to worry about. Good luck 

I’m a fan of painting on a black background. That said a few species of fish color up better on a light background…so I have a piece of foam poster board cut to size ($1.99) to try a white background on one tank to see how we like it. If it works out great, if not I’ll swap it to black foam poster board. I’d say if you don’t know what you favor yet, but the cheap foam poster board, cut to size and tape in place. Then stare at it for a few weeks every time you walk by the tank. Switch to whatever other color - or if you have some exotic color in mind, paint the poster board then tape it in place. Easy to change out. 

I prefer the black background, but I think almost any dark color works. My project tank is about 3/4" from the wall and the dark Oxblood/burgundy wall serves as the background.  I have very briefly used a mirrored background, but it doubled everything, including the algae.

On 1/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, Up North said:

I painted a couple tanks with the same paint that I used for the walls of the room the aquarium is in. Gives it a look of no background but hids the cords and filter. 

Anyone know why when I add a picture it always puts it sideways? 

20211115_204528.jpg

I like this. Very creative. I don’t care for backgrounds but I hate seeing cords and such. 
Edit your photo. Even just crop a hint off and save. It will then make your pictures show the right side up. 

• Thanks 1

9F02F84D-1CF0-4A09-ABE3-C668F8CC36AA.jpeg.586c52fcd7deec02c7b83a507da1c84e.jpegThanks for all of the advice. I ended up going with a black background I picked up from a local shop. After cutting it to length and taping it on I think I’ll try painting my next one. It turned out okay, can’t wait for my order of plants next week from the CO-OP. 

• Like 1

Clearly I'm an outlier, but I like a colorful background. It hides the algae that's hard to clean off of the back of the tank.  In the beginning the tank had a black clingy plasticky backing, but I never loved it, and when it got scratched, I went with fabric. 

A fabric store for quilters will have the most options, but almost any fabric store will have "quilt" fabric. Fabric doesn't scratch, and can get wet.  I attached the fabric to the tank with velcro strips and let it hang down the back.   Obviously this option requires a rimmed tank to hide where the fabric is attached to the tank.

20230121_201955.jpg.1d8b30a869f08469875020729307181d.jpg20230121_201943.jpg.d4547b050559d067246d8b6826972f5e.jpg

Edited by PaigeIs
  • Like 2
  • Love 1