Aquatic Writing - Show me your blogs

nabokovfan87

It's been a few hours reading a bit of posts, doing some research, trying to track down some details and I stumbled upon this blog.  It goes back to 2015!  So I went back to the beginning, saw a few into posts and kept reading a bit more. 

I think I really enjoy the way this author writes, the style, the tone echoes softly in my brain making things a bit easier to read given the dyslexia issues.  Honestly, all I can think about is how I would enjoy a "talk" by the author about his view on the hobby.  Not a TED talk or anything, but just something along that.  I think Cory and this person would have a really good conversation or just be casually talking about something and those of use in third person watching this happen might really enjoy it.

https://tanninaquatics.com/blogs/the-tint-1/38718657-taking-a-more-focused-approach-to-aquarium-keeping-a-better-way

If you haven't, I would also encourage you to head here, pick a topic, and just read something interesting...

https://goliadfarms.com/blog/

It's the type of thing where I just want to sit down with an espresso, a nice hot tea, and it's a rainy day outside....  That tone (and literally that atmosphere) is going on around me and I am intrigued for more. 

Amazonas is another good one and then I found Oceanographic as another interesting one to check out a while ago looking up shark stuff.

Which authors, blogs, or journals do you enjoy reading related to the hobby or related to aquatic species in general?

Sidenote from my research effort this morning.  I was trying to translate some articles and book descriptions from german to english and I came across the word Süßwasser-Aquarien which could have a two fold meaning.  Translating german to english this does happen where some words have a dual meaning (famously in a rammstein song).  I then thought of Süßwassertang and so I went down the rabbit hole of finding a german translation website which has a really detailed breakdown of potential meanings for words (in bits or in full).  The first word literally means "freshwater aquariums" but the word "Süß" refers to either the something warm or calm.  Interesting use there..... The second word is "freshwater seaweed" or "calm water seaweed". We use that term for a type of plant famously shown off at Ocean Aquarium in San Fransisco for most of us.  It is just interesting to discuss, translate, or break down the origin of some things.

• Like 1

Which authors, blogs, or journals do you enjoy reading related to the hobby or related to aquatic species in general?

I will read anything if it covers what I'm looking for but I often find myself going to the video resources initially and then follow up on tracking down in depth information in the written form from there.

Often that includes searching the digital backissues of Amazonas magazine online then a  search in scholar.google.com  if I am looking for anything written on a particular species. Amazonas magazine both digital and print is the only magazine i subscribe to currently.   

The coop newsletter articles and the club talks on the youtube channel member side are my first stop on the youtube side. I often look up articles and books from the presenters I most enjoy. The club talks are pretty in depth starting points on their own.

I really enjoy Oliver Lucanus and below water. He was one of my favorite member talks to date and tends to cover photos and videos of species of interest to me very well.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The first word literally means "freshwater aquariums" but the word "Süß" refers to either the something warm or calm.  Interesting use there.....

Bit off-topic: German is similar to Dutch and i speak a bit German as well.
The directest translation of Süß to english is sweet. We don't speak about freshwater but sweet (or salt) water" in our languages.
With the translation sweet in mind i think the 'warm or calm' makes a bit more sense in english because when Süß is used for a person it's a 'sweet person'.

• Like 1

The Tanninaquatics take on "complication syndrome" was pretty much spot on.  This hobby is as complicated a we choose to make it.  I have fond myself looking at a tank that is everything I want, and asking myself now what?  I can think of at least three examples in my nonaquatic world.

• Like 1