Columnaris in multiple tanks

Jabberjaw

So I have been battling columnaris for a while now in one tank. And I now have it in more than one tank. I read that it can be transferred from tank to tank by nets and anything else that's being used in multiple tanks. I think I transferred it by using same nets and multiple tanks. I will not make that mistake again in each tank will have their own net. The problem is my gravel vac. It's a knockoff python and I really like using it and on my tanks and I can't afford to have a gravel vac for each individual tank. I have read that anything that has been used in the affected tank needs to be bleached but I'm concerned with my gravel vacuum. What do I do? I have been using kanaplex and that has not done anything so I have ordered sulfaplex and it will be here tomorrow. I will more than likely be treating all of the tanks. My main concern is my gravel vacuum. 

Holy cow! I read through about 70% of that before I had to stop. What an amazing read! I learned so much and I am so excited because I've been battling Green algae in another tank! But anyway this is going to make my life so much easier over the next couple months until I know that I have eradicated columnaris from my tanks. Thank you so much! And thank you and everyone who collaborated to figure this information out.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2023 at 6:15 AM, Colu said:

The most effective treatment for columnaris is a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg

@Colu Any issue with plants and shrimp with protocol above? 

I don't believe I had shrimp in those tanks. They're mostly breeder tanks so there was minimum of plants but I had Anubis in all of them as well as dwarf sag. I didn't have any problems with the plants. I did lose a couple fish but I don't know if that was because of the treatment or because the fish just could not handle it anymore. I will say though it worked very very well.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 5:22 PM, PlaneFishGuy said:

@Colu Any issue with plants and shrimp with protocol above? 

Kanaplex and nitrofurazone based medication can be harmful to shrimp and some types of snails if you have shrimp use maracyn2 active ingredient minocycline is shrimp and snail safe do two courses back to back if your dealing with columnaris 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1