Cold water tank ideas

Phinny

Hello -

I'm planning a 40 gallon cold water planted tank and was deciding between a pair of paradise fish or a group of long fin rosy barbs. Now I'm wondering if it would be wise to consider having both paradise fish and rosy barbs in the same tank?  Would this be asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance!

If you have 2-3 schools of barbs they will tend to focus on each other and focus on schooling as opposed to other things in the tank.

Maybe adding some melon barbs fits the tank or a school of rasboras to keep them distracted.

Lots of tall plants helps too, sight breaks, and things to swim through.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 10:06 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

I am glad the “cold water” is getting some love!

Oddly, I don't think I've ever kept a "warm tank" 😂

Heck yeah!

On 1/14/2023 at 12:23 PM, Phinny said:

@nabokovfan87 @Biotope BiologistWhat kind of rasboras are appropriate for cold water (~65F/18C)?

Based on all the above advice I’m considering: One or two paradise fish, 6-8 long fin rosy barbs, 6-8 odessa or gold barbs, with a dojo loach and/or hill stream loach. 

68 is lowest recommended for a lot of these fish. Just note that.

In terms of the rosy+gold barb they are very similar size and shape. Same with Odessa barbs. They seem like the same fish but different fin lengths or color patterns. That may or may not diffuse aggression. 

Opposing to that you'd have something like a tiger barb or a melon barb that have a different size and shape.  And as discussed lots of other options and rasbora species. CPDs are a larger species. I've also done white clouds. Emerald green rasboras are really nice as well as the kabutai. There is your traditional "pork chop" or harlequin rasbora types too. Lots of choices. 

Barbs, danios, minnows, loaches, rasbora are all the species I'd recommend taking a look at. 🙂