Unused 4 gal Cube Tank

Stef

Hi folks. I have a new still in the box 4 gal Aqueon cube tank. I bought it at half off sale many months ago. I have several larger 6 gallon cubes going with bettas and snails. I’ve been hesitant on setting it up because it’s so small but so cute. 

I was thinking of doing a dirted dark water tank with a single female betta. Or possibly just a single mystery snail (no betta). I’m not into endlers or pea puffers or shrimp (yet). After it’s packed with plants and other hardscape, is it just too small for a single betta?  Can a single mystery snail produce enough bio load to keep it cycled?  

I actually just did the same thing, with a spare tank my daughter had. I'm considering shrimp. I capped the aqua soil with sand and some pebbles, and also put in a tiny OASE Aquatics Biocompact 25. I took a single pot scrubber out of my canister, full of bacteria and it just fit in. Within a couple hours the water was crystal clear. 

I like shrimp but just not as a “pet fish” I love what they do for planted tanks and have several amanos in my larger tanks. But they give me the willies and remind me of aquatic mice. My very first group of Amanos I was netting into my tank and one ran out of the net and up my bare arm and I freaked. I had no idea they were that fast and that mobile. The shrimp fell into the water so he is fine but I’ll be forever scarred for life 😆

I feel you. I love shrimps! But I like them more as a great addition to natural ecosystem look instead of a species tank alone. But I feel like 4 gallon will  be too small even for any nano fish and most snails that have more of a "pet" vibe like mystery and rabbits, considering with the addition of substrate, rocks/wood pieces, plants and filter/heater, the swimming room will be even less than a 4 gallon for the fish. Sadly small sized shrimps seems like the only option to me too 

I agree with the stocking idea of  @Guppysnail

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 12:21 PM, Stef said:

But they give me the willies and remind me of aquatic mice. My very first group of Amanos I was netting into my tank and one ran out of the net and up my bare arm and I freaked. I had no idea they were that fast and that mobile. The shrimp fell into the water so he is fine but I’ll be forever scarred for life 😆

This made me laugh! They don't give me the willies, but damn, I don't want them crawling out! This was from a different forum post:

"I recently got some ghost shrimps and cherries, last night I saw one of these f***ckers hanging around on top of the lid like some cockroaches, the lid only covers half of the tank. What are the odds will they crawl on me in my sleep?"

This reminded me of your post. I have never had shrimp before, my daughter has them, I guess I can ask her. I'd actually rather do a few endlers, but I'm thinking a 6 gallon minimum might be better for that? Dunno... have not done a nano tank before. 

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:39 AM, Stef said:

Hi folks. I have a new still in the box 4 gal Aqueon cube tank. I bought it at half off sale many months ago. I have several larger 6 gallon cubes going with bettas and snails. I’ve been hesitant on setting it up because it’s so small but so cute. 

I was thinking of doing a dirted dark water tank with a single female betta. Or possibly just a single mystery snail (no betta). I’m not into endlers or pea puffers or shrimp (yet). After it’s packed with plants and other hardscape, is it just too small for a single betta?  Can a single mystery snail produce enough bio load to keep it cycled?  

You cannot break the reproductive cycle of nitrifying bacteria due to lack of nutrients, except for several years in a sterile environment. They will feed off of the decomposition of other dead bacteria and continue to reproduce until they go dormant. As far as an adequate bioload for your planted tank, I cannot comment, as it's beyond my knowledge.

• Thanks 1