Please Help

I am not sure what is wrong with my tank. I just transferred everything from my previous tank yesterday because my old tank was leaking. The only thing I changed was the gravel. I put in the same tank water, same decorations, same filter, and same water pump. My tank water is cloudy and I think this may be because of a bacterial bloom or the new gravel. My water perimeters are : nitrate 0 , nitrite 0, ammonia 0, cl2 0, gh 25, ph 7.6, alkalinity 80, and carbonate 80. I don’t know if it’s my heaters but I have 2 heaters for my 15 gallon tank on max temperature but it can’t heat up the water. My water right now is 69.2°f. I have 3 guppies, 3 platies, and one nerite snail. 2 platies and 2 guppies are at the surface gasping for air and it’s not because of oxygen, ammonia, nitrite. I put in quick start bacteria just in case of something with ammonia. Please help me

On 1/8/2023 at 3:11 PM, iwanttostayanonymous 92074 said:

I am not sure what is wrong with my tank. I just transferred everything from my previous tank yesterday because my old tank was leaking. The only thing I changed was the gravel. I put in the same tank water, same decorations, same filter, and same water pump. My tank water is cloudy and I think this may be because of a bacterial bloom or the new gravel. My water perimeters are : nitrate 0 , nitrite 0, ammonia 0, cl2 0, gh 25, ph 7.6, alkalinity 80, and carbonate 80. I don’t know if it’s my heaters but I have 2 heaters for my 15 gallon tank on max temperature but it can’t heat up the water. My water right now is 69.2°f. I have 3 guppies, 3 platies, and one nerite snail. 2 platies and 2 guppies are at the surface gasping for air and it’s not because of oxygen, ammonia, nitrite. I put in quick start bacteria just in case of something with ammonia. Please help me

How thoroughly did you rinse the gravel? Even well rinsed gravel can have dust on it that will make your tank cloudy. I would try a water clarifier and add filter floss to your filter. If that doesn't fix it, it could be a bacterial bloom, which you can't do much about other than wait it out. 

What heater/ thermometer are you using? It sounds like your heaters aren't working or your temperature reading is faulty. Does the water feel cold? 

How do you know the gasping isn't oxygen related? Do you have an air stone? 

I wouldn't worry about heating the tank much higher. Got guppy's here between 60 and 68 F without any problems.
The risk of a broken heater is bigger then low water temp in a lot of cases i think.
Also: how higher the temp of water the less oxygen water normally seems to have.

As far as i know there is no way to measure oxygen in the water?
So knowing that you have enough oxygen isn't really possible as far as i know.
Do you have an airstone in the aquarium? If not, thats the first thing to add...

On 1/9/2023 at 12:10 PM, iwanttostayanonymous 92074 said:

I found out my aquarium thermometer was showing 10° lower than the actual temperature. 😰 I then turned off the heaters for the water temp to go back to  normal. I do have an air stone. 

This was my suspicion because it happened to me 40 years ago. I kept turning up the heater and even bought a new one! Then I stuck my hand in the tank and said YIKES! That thermometer got tossed out immediately. I'm glad you got it worked out in time to save your fish. 

• Like 1