Fluval 3.0 High Pitch Noise

Jurrian Hering

I just recently purchased a new fluval 3.0 from the scratch and dent members tab on the Coops website. Now that I’ve set it up it makes a high pitch whine noise when the light is dimmed. I have it at 30% intensity for now. I notice when I don’t dim it the noise isn’t as loud. 

Is this normal or is it broken?

Thanks! 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:50 AM, Jurrian Hering said:

I just recently purchased a new fluval 3.0 from the scratch and dent members tab on the Coops website. Now that I’ve set it up it makes a high pitch whine noise when the light is dimmed. I have it at 30% intensity for now. I notice when I don’t dim it the noise isn’t as loud. 

Is this normal or is it broken?

Thanks! 

I have three different sized fluval 3.0 lights and have never heard a high pitched whine from them. I would guess it is defective. 

• Like 1

They probably use pwm dimming and what you're hearing is the switching frequency.   Some electronic components can mechanically vibrate with that switching frequency though it's the designers job to make sure that it's either inaudible or doesn't happen.   It usually becomes audible when a component isn't held down as well as it's supposed to be. 

That's all a long winded way of saying it's probably defective

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 12:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Jurrian Hering Record a video of the noise. Please email Co-Op support as well. I would be curious as to what is going on. 

You might be hearing electronics, might be something else.

I can't figure out how to get the video into a format that is allowed on this forum unfortunately. However, I was able to get a refund from the Coop which I then immediately ordered a coop light! Worked out great. 

• Like 1