Moldy gravel

Hally M.

I put eco complete in a empty tank for a few months and forgot about it with the lid on. It developed little bits of mold. I’m in need of some but can’t go out to get some currently. I would use soap but I don’t think it’s safe with that substrate. Should I throw it out or toss it in water thoroughly. Is it ok to use after I try and clean it or is that too risky?

You could probably soak it in peroxide or even try reverse respiration on it.  I would fill the tank to about an inch over the substrate with seltzer and see what things look like after that.  If that didn’t work, then fill to at least 1/2” over the substrate with 3% peroxide and water mixed 50:50 or a little heavier on the peroxide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing I worry about with Eco Complete is it’s designed to hold onto fertilizer and things like that, so I worry with putting in chemicals it’ll take hold of it and It’ll leak into the tank. I tried washing it in water before taking a picture  unfortunately, but it has white mold spore growing all over the gravel. They looked small and fuzzy. There wasn’t much water but there was enough that everything was a little submerged