Possible Moss Breakthrough

Ok  so as i do sometimes i was listening to an old Aquariumcoop livestream. Now in this livestream Cory reccomended if you find something that works to share it with other hobbyists. So thats what im doing. Inspired by Serpadesign, a few weeks ago i decided to collect mosses from around my house and try to grow them submerged. And much to my suprise the mosses didnt die and started pearling. So if someone else found this oh well, but otherwise its a big thing for people looking for moss on a small budget. 

I dont know what kinds of moss they are, but i have some pictures of the two i found could grow underwater,

I hope this helps. (I advise rinsing the moss of well before putting it in a tank to get the dirt off)

DSCF1121.JPG

DSCF1120.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:51 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Nice idea! 😂
Have you tried putting it in a fish tank?

In the foreground of my 20gallon right now, i have half of it is java moss on a mat, the rest is the kind of moss in the second picture glued to rocks. I also have it in my breeder box, hatching container, and 5 gallon tank and its doing fine in all of those conditions

• Like 1

that may be true @streetwise, however i think at a certain point it would just die, and having had it going for a few week, ive had none of that happen. Also not be rude, but you came into this conversation and said this moss NEEDS to be grown emersed, have you done any testing yourself? and would it really pearl if it was just being hardy. As Cory explains it, plants pearl when they are happy. (Im not trying to be rude, but to back my claim that you are challenging) Edited by Theplatymaster

Streetwise was talking specifically about terrestrial moss, not aquatic moss. 

He is correct.

Just like a lot of terrarium plants, they might be ok for a little while, but really what is going on is that the plant is trying to hold on, it's not possible for some plants to grow submersed.

Whatever the situation is here with this moss (we don't have an ID on that species) it basically comes down to figuring out what it is and then making it thrive in a suitable environment.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:22 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Ok  so as i do sometimes i was listening to an old Aquariumcoop livestream. Now in this livestream Cory reccomended if you find something that works to share it with other hobbyists. So thats what im doing. Inspired by Serpadesign, a few weeks ago i decided to collect mosses from around my house and try to grow them submerged. And much to my suprise the mosses didnt die and started pearling. So if someone else found this oh well, but otherwise its a big thing for people looking for moss on a small budget. 

I dont know what kinds of moss they are, but i have some pictures of the two i found could grow underwater,

I hope this helps. (I advise rinsing the moss of well before putting it in a tank to get the dirt off)

Looks a lot like Christmas moss, but it's a blurry photo.  Try to compare it to what you can see in person and hopefully that helps out.

well its a well known fact that Java Moss can grow emersed so why cant terrestial mosses grow submersed. Sigh... wheres a botanist when you need one. And if i didnt discover anything (Than i will feel very sad), and it is christmas moss, than that is why i labled this post POSSIBLE moss breakthrough, as i saw mine was doing fine, but i didnt know if anyone had done it before, or if i was wrong. also if it is christmas moss, i guess i just have a really good source for it. (A tree down my street) Edited by Theplatymaster