Tank Lid for Rimless Tank

Ryan1988

Happy New Year everyone!

I could use some advice on how to go about adding a lid to a rimless tank. My tank is a top fin tank which the current lid is it's own piece with built in lighting. I'm looking to upgrade this lighting to a fluval light but in order to do so I would need to replace the lid to the tank. What is the best way to go about this? The new lid would also need to have accessibility to add the aquarium co-op auto feeder

Edited by Ryan1988

I just did this with a top fin 29g. I bought a glass lid from top fin meant  for the 29g and a Fluval aquasky. The lid doesn’t fit inside the groove as the black kit lid did, it’s about .5 “ too long, but it rests on top and is working for now

Edited by FLFishChik

@Ryan1988 happy new year backatcha. A lot of ways to approach this one as you will probably see with responses. You can find a local glass or plastics company and ask them to cut you a piece of glass or plastic to fit the inside of your tank rim (also allowing for equipment). Then you buy clips like this:

20Pcs Aquarium Glass Cover Clip Acrylic Universal Lid Clips for Rimless Aquariums Clear Color Acrylic Aquarium Glass Cover Holder, Aquarium Glass Clips(5mm) https://a.co/d/fD5W1SC

...that will hold your lid. 

Also I was just made aware that some people use a polycarbonate sheet called twinwall which is used as a wall in say a greenhouse but depending on where you get it they don't cut to size and you'll have to cut it on your own. People also use lighting "egg crate" material for lids. 

SO many options

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

+1 to the options that @xXInkedPhoenixX posted regarding clips. Determine the width of the tank wall, and buy a set of clips that match that glass size. Then, whatever material you choose for your cover (glass, twinwall, etc), it can be fitted to your tank. Just keep in mind that you need to account for the width of the clips inside the tank when you measure. 

• Like 2

I use polycarbonate sheets like@xXInkedPhoenixX suggested, the only difference being I  prefer the single sheet, not the double wall variety, I've seen no difference in evaporation rates between that and the glass lids I use, I would however assume the greenhouse effect is stronger with the double wall, so heat retention is likely better than with the single sheet, but for my purposes its works just fine. Easy enough to work with, power tools are gonna give you cleaner cuts, but I've used heavy duty scissors before, though its not as easy, for finer work I got the cheapest soldering iron I could find to melt sections away (if you're going to do this, I highly recommend doing it outside, your melting plastic after all), I've done clips, but for the sake of easiness I prefer to let it rest along the rim of the tank. For handles, I've superglued cheap drawer knobs on some.