Hello from Moss

Moss

Hi everyone,  I am new to the group and new to using forums (hope this post goes well 😉. I live in Victoria, BC, Canada.  I teach at a local high school and currently have 8 aquaria set up in my classroom (only 5 with animals in them).  When I was a kid, I had a 10 gallon tank with neons. During my university years I worked at UVic in the aquatic unit looking after 10,000 gallon recirculating seawater systems and fresh water flow through systems. I learned lots doing that, but am definitely still learning now.  

My project over the Christmas break was to give my goldfish a new home.  They were in a 30 gallon tank, but I found a used 55 gallon tank for them and built a sturdy stand for it.  I’ve had these goldfish for over 5 years now.  Funny story there…I had a tank set up with no fish in it.  It had been set up for some time, and I think my students were wondering why I hadn’t put any fish in there yet.  One day (a Tuesday), I noticed two small feeder comets in the tank.  I asked who put them in there and, after class, two sweet grade 9 girls fessed up. Their plan was to purchase a goldfish a day in my tank until I noticed.  I asked them if they had other fish. They replied yes. I asked where they were. They said in a jar in their locker! So, we got the fish and put them in with the others.  They named them after the day of the week that they were to be introduces to the tank: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  Unfortunately, Wednesday and Friday died shortly after being introduced to the tank, but I still have the other three.  I love them.  They are like my little puppies who greet me every morning looking for their breakfast 🍳 The girls who gave me the fish have now graduated, but it’s nice that they come in sometimes to visit the fish and me 🙂 

EB420667-14D5-4609-9AA9-72E9C01496C4.jpeg

Edited by Moss
Changed the photo…
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi, Shmaty! I use under-gravel filters in most of my tanks.  The gravel is on a raised-false bottom that allows water to pass under the gravel. It then rises up those tubes. The air causes uplift. This circulates the water through the gravel, which assists with mechanical and biological filtration.  

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, Moss said:

Hi, Shmaty! I use under-gravel filters in most of my tanks.  The gravel is on a raised-false bottom that allows water to pass under the gravel. It then rises up those tubes. The air causes uplift. This circulates the water through the gravel, which assists with mechanical and biological filtration.  

Seeing the little plastic carbon blocks reminds me of the good ol' days.

Welcome to the forum. Excited to see what you do!

On 1/2/2023 at 6:55 PM, Moss said:

I teach at a local high school and currently have 8 aquaria set up in my classroom (only 5 with animals in them).

When do we get to see the other 7 🙂 ?

Hi everyone!  Thanks for your notes! Funny about the old school carbon blocks 🙂. I just recently purchased that under gravel filter and it came with those, so I thought I might as well set it all up.  I will try to take some photos of my other tanks soon and add them to this post. I have a tank with neon tetras, ramshorn snails and blue neocardinia shrimp, another with zebra danios, and another with cherry neocardinia shrimp. I’m new at shrimp and snail keeping. Also new at plant keeping, but I have a wide variety of plants now and they seem to be doing well. My shrimp are already reproducing and my snails…well, I have lots now 🙂 

I am a biology teacher, so these tanks are in my classroom for display, but I am trying to get the students involved in caring for living things. My grade 11 students also have plants (terrestrial) that they care for and observe daily. That really helps to give the classroom a great natural ambiance, but the aquaria do the same and more!  My grade 8 science class are going to help me culture infusoria and probably brine shrimp as well.  It’s a great way to get them to see and care for living things. I’m looking for more ways to have my students learn and be involved, so happy to hear your suggestions if you have any!  It seems like there is so much to learn, and I have freedom in my class to allow students to explore their own questions about things they are interested in.

Thanks again for a warm welcome 🙂

Moss

• Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 8:16 PM, Moss said:

My grade 8 science class are going to help me culture infusoria and probably brine shrimp as well.

That would be cool. Have them try and culture infusoria then let them look at their culture under a microscope.

I remember they had us give daphnia caffeine or something while looking at them under a microscope. That was pretty cool

• Like 2

Hi again,

I took some photos of my some of my other tanks today:

1.) My Cherry Shrimp tank. There are some really small ones in there now, so they are breeding! 🙂

2.) My Zebra Danio tank. I only have 3 just now. I know they need company, and I will get some more soon. I’m also thinking of putting some tetras in this tank. Leaning towards Lemon Tetras. What do you guys think?

3.) My Stickleback tank (collected with permission and license from local wildlife branch). Henry is hiding in his cave 🙂

4.) My neon tank with blue neocaridina shrimp and ramshorn snails

1692ADEB-4ECD-46D1-AAF1-7D50D5245BDB.jpeg

A746A285-5E33-449F-BFB6-DF2BA9FAA160.jpeg

9EB33120-0AFE-4CB3-A7B9-21B9D845BE7E.jpeg

5614FF6B-1083-4498-9592-2C0DF7D0B60B.jpeg

• Like 4