Hey All,

In my 29g tall tank, I have:
-1 angelfish
-2 honey gourami
-3 platy
-1 hillstream loach
-6 kuhli loaches
-and some snails

I decided to add three amano shrimp a to help with algae. I knew there was some risk the angelfish would go after them, but my angelfish is very docile, so I wanted to try it. The next days, I noticed both my mystery snails are missing their antennas. I've been able to locate at least two of the three amano shrimp (behind my heater), and I assume the third is hiding. Here are the possibilities I thought of, but I wanted to know y'all think is most likely:

1. Completely coincidentally, the angelfish or honey gourami decided to eat the snails antennas that day.
2.  The third amano shrimp I can't find was eaten by the angelfish who then decided it liked hunting so it eat the snails antennas.
3. I have evil carnivorous amano shrimp that eat snail antennas. 

On 12/31/2022 at 12:51 PM, Aiden Carter said:

Amanos definitely didn’t do it probably one of the gouramis or angels

But why? They have coexisted for months. Do you think it was coincidental?

I just caught the angelfish nipping my gold inca. I guess the answer is usually the most obvious option.

On 1/1/2023 at 7:32 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Did either the angel or the gouramis recently reach maturity? They might now be territorial in a way that they weren't before? I don't know angels that well but that one gourami photo is full-on breeding coloration.

The honey gourami has had his breeding coloration for a while. The angelfish is being kept as a one of to avoid terratorial breeding behavior. He is still growing, so it could have to do with him getting older. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, Guppysnail said:

My honey gourami ate every mystery snail antenna in 3 days from when they were introduced to that tank. Now my snails travel tucked into their shell. 😕

That sucks, I'll probably move my mystery snails to another tank. I just found a few hitchhiker assassin snails in the tank I wanted to move them to though, so that complicates things. 

On 1/1/2023 at 5:32 PM, Ninjoma said:

That sucks, I'll probably move my mystery snails to another tank. I just found a few hitchhiker assassin snails in the tank I wanted to move them to though, so that complicates things. 

My assassins do not bother my mystery snails or my nerites if that helps. 

• Confused 1

On 1/1/2023 at 5:02 PM, Guppysnail said:

My assassins do not bother my mystery snails or my nerites if that helps. 

Even the nerites?  Interesting. Is it because of the operculum maybe?  I realizing now that the common foods for assassin snails typically don't have an operculum and both mystery and nerites do. I know mystery snails are a little big for them but i would think they would go for nerites. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 1/2/2023 at 5:14 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Even the nerites?  Interesting. Is it because of the operculum maybe?  I realizing now that the common foods for assassin snails typically don't have an operculum and both mystery and nerites do. I know mystery snails are a little big for them but i would think they would go for nerites. 

My LFS kept nerites with assasins in a display tank together for years. I asked them and they said as long s the assassins have their preferred food they leave larger snail alone. Mine have bladder snails to eat and once a week I sprinkle fry powder in the tank. Occasionally I find the assassins on a wafer or a green bean munching. 
The operculum and size difference is a measure of protection. It won’t stop them though if they are starving or if the other snails are smaller than they are. My assassins are also much slower than nerites or mystery snails. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2