Bacterial bloom+oxygen depletion+beneficial bacteria

LiorM

Had a HOB die on a three year old tank and lost some beneficial bacteria. aquarium is well establisehd, planted and has an extra sponge filter which kept on running, and a power head helping circulation.

Currently facing a bacterial bloom, moderate , not too bad. Water parameters are still fine so cycle not crushed completely. I am monitoring ammonia and nitrite levels, but oxygen levels are low, around 5ppm at 80degrees (can't lower much more because its a discus tank which usually runs at 84)

I understand that the bacteria is consuming oxygen which will probably lower O2 levels, so my question:

Do I add beneficial bacteria or not? will added bacteria eat up more O2 and lower levels even further?

Thank you!

Edited by LiorM

Absolutely, I also believe that the rest of the bacteria that doesn't have enough food will die and produce more co2. The good news it will cycle faster but will be more volatile during it. It my understanding that the safest way with fish is to smoothly get through the process and not spike the bacteria as much as possible to speed it up unless you don't have fish.

But Idk if you should listen to me, Im a noob. I would add a tiny bit just to be sure good bac is still present but then let it do its thing.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:13 PM, LiorM said:

Currently facing a bacterial bloom, moderate , not too bad. Water parameters are still fine so cycle not crushed completely. I am monitoring ammonia and nitrite levels, but oxygen levels are low, around 5ppm at 80degrees (can't lower much more because its a discus tank which usually runs at 84)

I understand that the bacteria is consuming oxygen which will probably lower O2 levels, so my question:

Do I add beneficial bacteria or not? will added bacteria eat up more O2 and lower levels even further?

Add an airstone or two just for the sake of it at this time.  Hopefully things level out for you soon!